Narrow Glide Conversion

jsharpphoto

Coast to Coast
I see a bunch of guys using HD narrow glide front wheels in their GSXR conversions, to keep the spoke look. Is there a reason you don't just use the narrow glide forks as well? Is it a length/rake issue? or are the forks not well designed/GSXR forks are just that much better?

The GSXR forks would likely be 1000x better than the Harley suspension.

I have no idea why anyone would choose the Harley wheel for a GSXR front end - not sure what advantage that provides. Where have you seen this?

Tim said:
The GSXR forks would likely be 1000x better than the Harley suspension.

I have no idea why anyone would choose the Harley wheel for a GSXR front end - not sure what advantage that provides. Where have you seen this?

It's easy to use the Harley hub mated to your old spoked rim, and the hub works with the GSXR USD forks without much modification. Easier than trying to get a CB750 wheel jammed in there.

I wanted to hop in on this one as I was previously facing the same issue.
I purchased a set of '09 GSXR-600 forks but the problem I ran into was when it came to brake rotors. Drilling extra holes, spacers, etc. Too much little shit to rig up.
Instead, I found a 36 spoke front hub from Rad Mfg built for the V-Strom (DL1000) that just happens to have the same dimensions as the OEM wheel as far as mounting distance is concerned. You can then count up a set of SV1000 rotors as they share the same bore, PCD as the DL1000 hub and the same offset and size for the GSXR. Theres no modification here at all, everything fits from the box!

I would highly recommend checking it out:
http://www.radmfg.com/RAD-Front-Hub-for-Suzuki-V-Strom-p/radh-sp-vstrom1f.htm
Weight comes in lower than the HD hubs and Rad was SUPER accommodating to my custom application and hooked me up with proper sized bearings and even bored the spacers out to my requested axle dia.

Good to know. Honda and Yamaha front disc hubs also have the same PCD (80mm) and 60mm bore as many front rotors. I have FZR1000 rotors bolted onto a Honda CB front hub, with bearings for a 20mm axle and a custom axle/spacer to put it in a GSXR set of forks, mounted to my SR500 frame. Real mongrel.

DSC04812.jpg

A different front hub might have the advantage of being able to take bearings large enough for the stock axle which would save a lot of time and money.

Tim said:
Good to know. Honda and Yamaha front disc hubs also have the same PCD (80mm) and 60mm bore as many front rotors. I have FZR1000 rotors bolted onto a Honda CB front hub, with bearings for a 20mm axle and a custom axle/spacer to put it in a GSXR set of forks, mounted to my SR500 frame. Real mongrel.

DSC04812.jpg

Now this more good information! Where the heck was all this info when I was trying to figure out my conversion? Sheesh. I wonder if there's a way we can get all this info stickied for others to easily find?

Wow!

Tim, which year/model CB hub is that?

Also, which year/model FZR1000 rotor is that??

Is there a reason you didn’t go for dual discs? Would that be possible with a different CB hub?

Back
Top Bottom