Front end shimmy

eph_sixten

Just bought my first CB750, its an 81 in really good shape. However there are a couple of things i notice and being new to cycling i'm not sure where to look.

The bike is an 81 honda cb750k. Its never been wrecked or layed down. No visible damage to the frame/fork/wheel. Above 60-65 miles per hour i get a bit of a shimmy in the front end, its seams a little loose nothing big and its not constant. It comes very briefly and goes away. At first i thought it was maybe just the road but have felt it pretty much everytime i'm riding on the freeway regaurdless of which freeway.

Any suggestions on possibilities would be appreciated.

Also, tell us about the tires - new or old? If they're old, the wheel might not be in proper balance anymore and if they're new, who put them on and did they balance them properly?

I'd stick to the sideroads until you sort this out.

Do you have the front fender on there?
If not you need a fork brace (As well as what the other guys said).

Tires have 500 miles on them, the guy i bought the bike from had them put on so i'm not sure if they are balanced properly or not.

Front fender is in place and everything seams to be tight, headset included. Can't find any play anywhere, hub, headset bearings, fork.

I guess an out of balance tire seams to be the most likely cause at this point. Thanks for the input, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard swing arm bearings/bushings can make the front end shake as well.
I'd also be checking the wheel bearings.

Only other suggestion would be to quit wiggling the bars when you're riding on the highway :D

No fairing on the bike I presume?

Yes, never thought of not wiggling the bars - good call, i'll try that.

No fairing.

I found some bronze swing arm bushing that i am going to try. See what that does, wouldn't hurt to have better bushings back there anyway. Everything else seams good, aside from the wheel balance i haven't had that checked yet.

Back
Top Bottom