handle bar assistance

B

bluemetaldog

ok so it's probably not a big deal to some of you veteran tinkerers... tis for me.

i'm looking for someone in the toronto area who's willing to help me put clubmans on my bike...any volunteers?

:)

Noel? Noel? C'mon man, I know you know how to do this.

The effort involved largely depends on the current bars - are they stock with internal wiring? If so it's a bit of work as the wiring has to be disconnected, removed from the bars, and then re-routed / reconnected. Might require notching the controls to allow the wiring to go on the outside of the bars.

Do you have the bars already? Aside from the wiring, it's just taking the master cylinder, throttle and left switch control off the current bars and squeezing them all onto the new bars. You'll likely need a new set of grips, depending on how old the current grips are. The throttle side grip is of course on a sleeve and will transfer no problem, but the left is cemented onto your current bars and might not come off. Even if it does, if it isn't a tight fit onto your new bars, it just aint safe.

So might want to plan on new grips.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. We need to start having communal maintenance get-togethers where we can work as a group on a few bikes at once.

Tintin said:
Noel? Noel? C'mon man, I know you know how to do this.

The effort involved largely depends on the current bars - are they stock with internal wiring? If so it's a bit of work as the wiring has to be disconnected, removed from the bars, and then re-routed / reconnected. Might require notching the controls to allow the wiring to go on the outside of the bars.

Do you have the bars already? Aside from the wiring, it's just taking the master cylinder, throttle and left switch control off the current bars and squeezing them all onto the new bars. You'll likely need a new set of grips, depending on how old the current grips are. The throttle side grip is of course on a sleeve and will transfer no problem, but the left is cemented onto your current bars and might not come off. Even if it does, if it isn't a tight fit onto your new bars, it just aint safe.

So might want to plan on new grips.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. We need to start having communal maintenance get-togethers where we can work as a group on a few bikes at once.

communal maintenance get togethers would be cool..as far as i know everything's still stock/original ..except the colour (!) ('77 cb550). the bars..the ones i got in paris last year..will try and get a shot soon...
i *tried* to get noel to help me..but he keeps claiming to go on these business trips.... ::)

sure call me i will help you out
mail me
yasiropel@yahoo.ca
yasir
bluemetaldog said:
ok so it's probably not a big deal to some of you veteran tinkerers... tis for me.

i'm looking for someone in the toronto area who's willing to help me put clubmans on my bike...any volunteers?

:)

Tintin, can NOT notching the bars cause problems? I just put clubmans on yesterday and I'm wondering if the wires could get pinched in anyway (I'm trying to chase down a short circuit).

The only routing problem I had so far is the clutch cable. Previously it went through the holes just on the inside of the triple tree on the left. Now the cable follows the frame and then jumps over the ignition switch and in front of the tach. It was the straightest shot into the handlebar but the clutch pull is perceptibly harder.

I haven't routed the other stuff yet until I can find the short.

jdigga said:
Tintin, can NOT notching the bars cause problems? I just put clubmans on yesterday and I'm wondering if the wires could get pinched in anyway (I'm trying to chase down a short circuit).

The only routing problem I had so far is the clutch cable. Previously it went through the holes just on the inside of the triple tree on the left. Now the cable follows the frame and then jumps over the ignition switch and in front of the tach. It was the straightest shot into the handlebar but the clutch pull is perceptibly harder.

I haven't routed the other stuff yet until I can find the short.
hi
are you routing the wires inside the handle bars.
if yes your wires will pinch somewhere. These wires are very old unless you got new ones. check the conection buy the controls or just take everything out and conect them like that(out side the handle bars).
call me 4169160024
yasir

It's notching the control casings, not the bars. Take a pic of the clubmans you installed, showing the wires.

I finished installing them tonight. I'm not going to fancy with running the wires inside the bars. I rerouted the clutch cable behind the headlight which is much neater and is an even straighter shot to the lever.

IMG_0077.jpg

I'm concerned about how tight the control casings are, to the point where I noticed the left one is actually cracked right along the I in "LIGHTS" (existing condition when I bought it):

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Your control castings already had the 'notches' built-in. Newer sets had this to allow external wiring.

Yeah I should have jumped on the opportunity before Noel got out of the seat business. :D

See how the master cylinder goes under the speedo? Originally I had the bars flipped the other way but I couldn't get clearance. Had to compromise the riding position for it.

Ya know another way to not have to deal with wiring the switches is to get rid of them/move them out of
sight. On the CB450 I moved the starter button, Neutral light, and kill switch to the headlight bucket for a clean-bar look.
(just an idea)...
450-46.jpg

Back
Top Bottom