Fork swap for an 80 XT250

RDickens

Hello,

I am working on a cafe racer project with my 1980 xt250. I am looking for a different fork setup; I want something with a disk brake and a little lower. I haven't had a chance to pull the current fork off yet, so I don't really know the specs. I have found the bearing specs on other sites and I know the tubes are 35mm. Not sure if anyone else has swapped the forks out on these bikes yet. I figure I can just replace the tubes with something in the same diameter. Is there any issues going this route? Has anyone done this? Is there any other fork that might match the steerer tube diameter that can be modified to fit, or have the XT steerer pressed in to different triple trees?

Thanks for any help.
Randy

Either one of your ideas should work. There are lots of forks that use 35mm tubes...as seen in this list
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20950.0

You could also check out allballsracing.com and use their fork conversion chart to see what bikes use the same/similar bearings to your bike.

Both methods will require some kind of work...but a total new fork setup will probably take a bit more time and headscratching.

Good luck!

The easiest way is to get an complete front end and swap that in. Mixing and matching forks / wheels / discs / calipers / spacers can be a real headache.

To that end, as long as you OK to use a mag wheel something like a GS500 front end would be a good choice.

I have looked at the allballsracing.com website. When I do a search for my bike, it only shows other dirtbike forks that will swap over.

I would have figured doing a complete front end swap would be the hardest way to go, as opposed to just swapping over the fork tubes. When I look at the bearings for the GS500 they don't seem to match up with my bike. Is there something I am missing?

Wow, SR500 forks seem to be hard to come by. After looking at allballsracing.com for SR500, it seems as though there are some options that can work. Thanks for the info.

Here's some more trivia that may or may not be useful....

KZ650/900 forks and wheel slot straight into XT500 triples. XT500 runs the same neck bearings as your 250.

if you want to go with tt500 triples and some kawi forks I have the parts
the tt triples are alloy top and bottom if you are into polish-ing ;D I also have a box full of kwaka calipers and a usable 18" kh400 front wheel wire spoked with a disc
all it takes is money and some creativity/skill on you part

the xt250 triples have less offset than most all straight leg forks because the xt250 forks are leading axle using straight leg ...so with straight legged forks in the xt250 triples will increase trail making the bike more stable but possibly sluggish and hard to turn

hillsy, that actually helps. All this gives me a great starting point.

xb33bsa, thanks, let me look at what I got, I may hit you up. Are you located in the U.S.? What are you looking for, $ wise, for the parts?

Thanks, guys, this has been some great feedback.

yeah im in usa whatever is fair price wise
if you lower the front that much you are going to have to shorten the rear shock as well....otherwise you will have a nervous handling mess.......at best

How much will this shorten the front, do you know? I don't mind shortening the rear, I already have to buy a new shock. Not sure what I will need for the rear. If I go with a Hagon shock, I can shorten it up to 50mm, if I understood them correctly. They say I can reduce the seat hight up to 50mm in 10mm increments, does this mean shortening the shock. I have asked them, but have not gotten a response yet.

Well, I definitely know it's not easy. However, it's the only bike I have access to. I suppose anything is possible. Do you say that because it's a dirtbike or because it the rear monoshock?

that would be cool just leave the suspension and wheels stock,some flattrack bend bars and an XR style seat BAM
you could still lower it a bit shortening the travel on those forks is easy
and a dls front brake plate off a 81-82 YZ/IT should fit for improved braking up front

When swapping forks on bikes, it is important to understand the concept of TRAIL, even more so than rake angle/ fork length etc. The XT250 has LEADING AXLE forks. If swapping to a fork with the axle at fork centerline, the trail will increase dramatically.
I once put an entire RD350 front end on a XT250, using 0.50 mm shims wrapped around the 34 mm RD fork tubes (The XT250 and RD 350 share the same C-C in the triple trees) With the RD fork and 18" wheel, the XT did not handle well at all.......Shorter fork and smaller wheel gave a steeper rake and maybe pushed the trail a bit towards shorter, but the change from leading axle to center axle increased trail by at least 2 inches/ 50 mm.
One guy told me that 80-82 Suzuki GS(X)750E has 35 mm leading axle forks. This may be worthwhile checking out.

Back
Top Bottom