New (to me) Honda CB350 twin dies when coming to a stop.

Good to hear you got it running for a bit ! I would check the gap on the points, a bit off and you won't get a spark. I replaced the points on my bike and they were slightly off, I was getting no spark, so I assumed it was the coils, I bidded on a couple of coils on ebay but didn't win thankfully, then one of my dads' friend adjusted the points and everything was okay. Yesterday you mention you were getting sparks, so I didn't say nothing about gapping the points. Unfortunetly, I don't own a service manual, so I wouldn't be any help on how to.

Turns out Greg from OhioCaferacers.com lives about 20 minutes from me so he's going to help me with this. I wanted to do the work myself but he's reasonable cost wise, and if I ever want to ride the bike I might as well leave it to a professional.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

OK, Greg came out today and found a laundry list of issues with the bike. Luckily, most are minor and can easily be fixed. He took the carbs and is going to do a full rebuild for me at his usual cost. While he is doing that I'm going to take care of the funky clutch cable issue and a few other minor problems.

Hopefully, when the carbs are done we will be able to drop them in and fire the bike right up.

I will keep everyone informed on the progress we make. Having Greg around is a miracle and

Got my carbs back from Greg from OhioCaferacers.com and I have to say they look beautiful. I can't believe they are the same carbs. But, the bike still won't start. Since this is a long term project I wanted to have the carbs done anyway and that issue is also eliminated. What I did finally realize this morning is that the bike isn't getting consistent spark. So, I'm trying to gap the points and time it correctly.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for tolerating the newbie vintage bike owner!

Well, after a few misguided deeds on my part I dropped the bike off at Greg's from Ohiocaferacers.com. Being an obsessive compulsive sort he got right to it and got it running. Looks like it was a combination of needing to have a carb rebuild and bad timing/bad gapping of the points.

That's it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Got the bike back from Greg at Ohiocaferacers.com this morning and all I can say is if you have a vintage bike and the ability to get it to him - DO IT! This thing runs like a brand new bike. My first test spin got me to sixty before I realized how fast I was going. It started on the first kick and runs like new.

It's great to be able to do work on your own bike, but when the frustration factor sets in take it to a "guy that knows his shit". I noticed your first post was on April 20th and here it is May 12th and you're finally on the road and flying by the sound of it! Now just keep an eye open for the FUZZ ( showing my age there a bit, huh ? ) and get used to the way the bike handles and enjoy!!!!
So, let's see some pics.

Not the best pictures - I will get something better when my wife gets back from her trip. She's the photographer in the family. It's in pretty nice shape for a mostly original 71. Someone told me the exhaust is aftermarket and the left side has some damage to the light and bracket that holds the light in place. Other than that, everything is there except for one of the side cover emblems which is already purchased and on its way.

The must have list, based on Greg from OhioCaferacers recommendation are a new front brake cable (already ordered), tires which will probably be Bridgestones from SF11s, plus front and rear brakes. All of which needs to be done by June 2nd so I ride it to the AMA Japanese bikes days at the museum. Luckily, I only live 10 minutes away so even if everything doesn't get done I will be able to nurse it there.

CB350.jpg

71Honda.jpg

Found a helmet for you ;D

I saw it yesterday and emailed Tintin... he had a Sunrise Honda a while back. Matches the paint!

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-Motorcycle-Snowmobile-Helmet-W0QQAdIdZ13655050
5b36_20.JPG

So, I took it out for a quick spin this morning just to keep it running daily. Well, it's LOUD, very load and annoys my neighbors which is a plus in my book. Not so much for my wife, she's a little irritated. It is like having my mother in law in the house though, it takes five good kicks to get her going in the morning, then, once she's going, you can't shut her up! ;D

Back
Top Bottom