Tires are in, forgot to order (tools)

Cafe_to_go

Coast to Coast
My tires, rim strips and inner tubes arrived today, but I forgot to order a tire iron and a bread breaker. I'm I in trouble or can I use other tools to replace the tires?

Cafe_to_go said:
My tires, rim strips and inner tubes arrived today, but I forgot to order a tire iron and a bread breaker. I'm I in trouble or can I use other tools to replace the tires?

I've never tried to install motorcycle tires, but I can tell you something... Installing the DOT tires on my dirt bike was a gruelling and horrible experience... And I had an old school tire machine (mechanical, still used in alot of shops).

This is why I'll never try to install my tires myself, ever again.

Plus it's around $30 to get em installed and balanced if you take the wheels off the bike and bring em to a shop (Just don't go to the Yamaha dealer :eek:).

No kidding - don't mess around with this stuff - you'll spend way more time than its worth and unless you have the right tools and materials to balance your wheels, you'll hate riding the bike.

Spend the money to have them installed and balanced. Its a lot cheaper if you show up with your wheels in your hands vs. riding the bike up.

WHOA!!!

I have spooned tires on and off of my dirtbike and ice racer/playtoy numerous times. I found it a piece of cake (unless it's a 20 year old knobby with 2 extra carcusses inside).The irons were 10$ at Crappy tire.

I havn't done a street bike yet but I'm looking forward to it now.

As for balanceing - never been a concern on the above but I'm sure it's cheap to do if you walk in with the tires with new rubber already mounted.

Riding 100mph down the highway is a little different I'd say than offroad or ice racing where likely you're constantly changing speed and direction.

No question shops might balance your tires once you mount them, but for a few bucks extra they'll mount them too. And get rid of your old rubber. For the number of times you do this, likely every few years, I'd spend the money to have the tires installed vs. investing in tools and doing it myself.

Back
Top Bottom