The Twinstar Project

Meh, I'll think about it one of these days.
Been working on figuring out there all the wiring and electrical components are going to go. I need to get my battery so I can make a tray for it and finalize mounts for everything else.

Quick battery question... The one coming up for mine is listed as XT9-B. Does this mean 9amps? Just trying to figure out the designation so I can shop around a bit. I guess a question to go with that would be how many amps do I actually need out of the battery?

Exhaust showed up!
b70069c1fb940d2656f7e4d41836bdb2.jpg

137e76b75de8a0555f58b91cf6389a61.jpg

8fca8ffc95bda630244c33ec605951e0.jpg

They're not pretty (check out that huge booger!!) but I think they'll work for now. Once she's running I'll look into cleaning them up and MAYBE doing a 2-1 setup. But getting her running is more important. One of the header clamps is missing so I need to get one, and I only have one crush gasket so another one of those will be ordered as well. Getting closer!
93dcdbfa97411924ff4ff60e68745c37.jpg

yorkie350 said:
sure it aint a false leg ::) ;D ;D

;D LOL ,it does look a lot like a weird type of 'knee joint',yes? ::) :D
someone's poor attempt at trying to apply weld.. I wouldn't do much better myself as I've never owned a welder or took any lessons but do desire to take lessons.

The weld is pretty funky, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do too much better I've never welded exhaust pipe.
I decided to stick with stock pegs (as opposed to flipped). The movement back is small enough that I don't think it's worth shortening the brake pedal and shifter.

To take my mind off of my Katana grenading it's engine, I spent some time looking over the twinstar to see what I need to get so I can fire her up for a test ride.
I was looking over the Keihin that came with the 200 (which I was planning to use for now) and noticed the carb slide is iffy. It was stuck shut when I first got it. I noticed some scratches inside the bore, and some stubborn residue on the slide. Just wondering if I can use some steel wool to clean up the slide and the best way to clean up the bore, or if I should just look for a cheap new mikuni
76da7087cc487f337283f4f6467754b5.jpg

886d07a4ebe340432315dad09a90a8c6.jpg

1b4a51b42c9c5b9934dadf7520718da0.jpg

Yep, it's rough looking. Try a bit of 400 grit wet/dry paper on the rough bits and give the body a thorough cleaning, it may turn out to be OK after all.

Sounds good. I'm not particularly attached to using this carb, so I figured giving cleaning it a shot would be my best bet. If not, I just buy a new carb which I was originally wanting to do anyways. Especially with the fact I'm going to have to buy an engine for my other bike :eek:

Dude buy an OKO the right size, they are cheap and decent quality.

If you need any GS750 stuff for the Katana hit me up. I have a 77 2 valve sitting in wait.

So two and a half years later... finally making progress. I’ve actually been working on it since earlier this year. Moved in to a new place, got a proper toolbox, and even a little baby welder! And getting close to wrapping this build up. Don’t have a ton of pictures but I’ll put what I’ve got up.
Seat is from eBay, but I’m actually pretty happy with it. I made a collector and 2-1 exhaust which I apparently have no pictures of, and a muffler to bolt on. Battery box got welded on to the frame, and electronics are bolted to the back of the battery box. The tank is at a radiator shop getting cleaned right now, and I’m hoping to go for a test ride once it’s back!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 273
Trying to attach the video of when I got it running for the first time, but can’t get it to work from the phone. Might just have to put it on the computer and upload from there??

I'm no expert on the video stuff, but the easiest way to go about it would probably upload it to youtube then post the link. you may have to upload it to your computer first anyhow. Nice to see some progress on this build, I had almost forgot all about it! :) ....oh just FYI, if you're ever thinking about really changing the look of the bike, the tank from a 400 Four will slip right onto these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSFnCaPaFw

Seems like it was just easiest to put it on youtube (good tip goldy!)

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone even remembered it haha. Thanks for the tip on the 400F tank, I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't mind the stock tank, but definitely not in love with it. My seat might fit a little better on a 400F tank too.

Still waiting on the tank to get cleaned, and I've come down with a bit of the flu so I won't be making progress in the next few days... The list is getting shorter though! figuring out the air filter looks to be the biggest issue. Not much room between the carb and the frame. I put a silicone elbow on, need to look at what my options are for making a filter fit. Thinking about some form of uni... I bought a 1.75" ID 15 degree bend uni but it doesn't fit very well.

Nice...nothing like getting something fired up for the first time, B.Z!

Here’s a quick shot of the collector and pipe... 12” emgo bullet muffler is gonna get bolted on to the end.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 280
Back
Top Bottom