Proper way of cleaning carbs

Cafe_to_go

Coast to Coast
What is the proper way to clean carbs? I bought a gallon of carb cleaner to soak the carbs, but I read somewhere, that it can damage the diaphrams. So what should I do? I have the kit to rebuilt them, but do the floats have to be replaced too?

Completely disassemble the carb. Do one at a time to avoid mixing up parts. Remove carb top and pull out rubber diaphram. Remove float bowl and all jets, needles, gaskets and o-rings untill you're left with just the carb body. In a coffee can or solvent resistant plastic container pour in a can of carb cleaner like Wynn's. Drop carb body in it and swish it around making sure the cleaner goes into every passage. Leave for a couple of hours. Take out carb body and let solvent evaporate. This is optional but I do it. Get a can of spray carb cleaner (I use the Honda can), attach straw to sprayer tip and spray into every passage opening. You can see it squirt out the opposite end. Then I take a can of compressed air (available at any camera shop) and spray air through the same passages to blow out cleaner. After all is done let dry overnight. Soak the jets and needles in the solvent container. You can use a shaved down toothpick to clean the inside of the needles and jets. Do not use a wire or anything metal. After everything is dry reassemble with parts from your carb kit, set float height according to your manual and you're done.

Thanks DrJ, I ordered a 2 rebuilding kits, so there won't be a need to clean them correct? Also, I notice one of the float is dented, would I need to replace them too?

No you don't need to clean the parts in the carb kit. But I find those kits don't always have every o-ring that's needed and include items that aren't necessary. I prefer to buy the Honda repacking kit from the dealership. The dent in the float won't be an issue as long as there are no cracks or holes. Submerge it in water to see if any bubbles rise.

Back
Top Bottom