LEAKY Tank - Help Needed

Crusty paint but solid looking inside

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-OEM-1980-1981-1982-1983-Kawasaki-LTD-KZ750H-KZ-750-H-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Lock-Key-/322270252462?hash=item4b08cdcdae:g:R90AAOSwNRdX5HH0&vxp=mtr

Tune-A-Fish© said:

Appreciate the find! But I think I'm gonna stick with mine and give it another round. That tank looks like it had just as much rust as mine still has.

Should I pour only the prep and etch in with no water? That's what I've read other people doing with a better degree of success.

Wait, why did you dilute the acid...?

Did you get the prep and etch from HD (big jug)?

25 minutes is not enough time for a heavily rusted tank. Pour in the acid, swish it around, and then set a timer for 15-20 minutes. When the timer is up, rotate the tank and prop it up so that another portion of the inside is completely submerged for another 15-20 minutes. Do this until every portion of the tank has been fully submerged for that amount of time. Drain, inspect, and repeat as necessary.

Don't dilute the acid.

You are overcomplicating this process.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

are you using full power etch and screws 3 hours shaking every 15 or so? it took me only one try to get my last KZ clean

advCo said:
You are overcomplicating this process.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

HELL YEAH I am overcomplicating the process lol

Definitely have read too much crap online. Have heard dilute and don't let sit for longer than 30 min and took it to heart. Okay, I will get it right next time.

Mine was leaking at the low level sending unit. It wasn't around the edges but right through the middle where the rubber grommet was supposed to seal the wires.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

So I really hate to dig up old threads, but it seemed a better idea to post in an existing thread.

This POR15 stuff.. I have a KZ750 tank and my bike has been basically built around it so there is no turning back. The original fuel valve was hitting the frame so I got a guy to cut out petcock on the original tank and replace it in the correct spot on the KZ tank. Talk about commitment..

The tank is leaking (as best as I can tell) from the area where the fuel valve is bolted to the tank. Maybe the threads, maybe not. Think POR15 after flawless prep would work for this? I'm also toying with the idea of making a gasket to go in between the petcock and the tank in the hopes that that would take care of it.

Frankly I'm at my wits end with this.

Back
Top Bottom