Refreshing plastic parts

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

I´m wondering how you guys "refresh" plastic parts on your projects?
I always had the impression that they only could be bought new, no way back from old plastics...

Just had a interesting talk with a guy in my RD forum he wrote me that the submerges plastic parts for 1 week in old oil, then wipes of with a rag and runs a heat gun over it...told me that it comes out nearly like new...
does this really work?

thanks!

I was going to do some experimenting w this myself.
On smooth glossy unpainted black plastics I had pretty good luck w Meguiares paint cleaner.
But it didnt help or hurt on textured plastics.
For textured parts, Blak, once a year. Worked great. But its just pretty much a thin paint sorta stuff. You apply w sponge or rag. But, the parts come out "looking" brand new.

Im busy at the moment prepping to take bikes to Kentucky this weekend. But I will try to put together some pics and whatnot later today.

Ive read a lot about guys using wintergreen oil for soaking and re-newing rubber parts. I got a big bottle of the stuff, Ive yet to open. Im gonna try soaking some 30yr old, sun faded black plastic bmw parts in it. Ill post results as I check on it every couple days.

I restored the plastic on my DR350 by wet sanding with soapy water and 1000 grit paper. Then I polish with Meguiar's Ultimate Black plastic restorer. The plastics were very oxidized and dull. I also did it to the plastic on my BMW tail lights and gauges. They look brand new. I use the same stuff on my Jeep, but after 6 months it needs a new application. Seems like after each application, it lasts a little longer, though. I've used heat on things as well, and it works as long as you can get even spread.

b6e1b38fcfba75e7de144c2973585c30.jpg

Judicious use of a heat gun on dark grey / black plastics can work well.

I did pretty much every grey / black panel on this thing with a heat gun a squirt of Plexus plastic polish. They were heavily sun faded before I started:

image_zpssyvjhb56.jpeg~original

image_zpsst7bbabi.jpeg~original

hillsy said:
Judicious use of a heat gun on dark grey / black plastics can work well.

I did pretty much every grey / black panel on this thing with a heat gun a squirt of Plexus plastic polish. They were heavily sun faded before I started:

image_zpssyvjhb56.jpeg

WOW!that come out like new!I have to try this....

I used a heat gun on the plastics on my first KLR, didn't make it new again but it made a huge difference.

With black plastic parts, try "Stoßstangenspray" - it's meant exactly for this. (Shining up black/unpainted trim pieces on cars.)

Any updates on either oils?

For old yellowed white plastics, cables and such, you can use oxyclean type products and hydrogen peroxide left in UV light. Works great. This is only for WHite!

Black kiwi shoe polish in the sponge bottle works great on faded plastics. A detailer told me about this trick. Did some greyed out bumpers and it lasted a few years.

I've had some success with cheap unsalted peanut butter. I used it on parts of my car that use black porous looking plastic such as rear view mirror covers, window frames, inside plastic door hamdles, bumpers. I think the oil in peanut butter is compatible in some way.

Back
Top Bottom