Bringing a CB360 Back From the Dead(Cafe Racer Build)

spotty said:
whats the advantage to drilling holes in the clutch basket and is it only applicable to these bikes? would it have the same effect on a 750 SOHC? mines apart but hopefully going back together very soon so i may as well do it before reassemble if theres any need
Helps keep the clutch cooler and washes the friction plates because of the flow. It'll definitely help the 750. Not a whole lot ofdifference in their clutches.

Got the engine out. I think I'm gonna buy someones whole clutch assembly off of eBay for $60. Working on getting the frame down to paint. I will sandblast it and then with either spray on POR15 or use spray cans. What do you guys think would be the best?
IMG_8658_zpsmfu8o4f3.jpg

If you use POR15, you need to use the stuff that is UV resistant. Otherwise, the standard stuff fades. The spray epoxy for appliances works well I've heard. Plan to use that myself.

I used engine enamel on my CB750 frame, which I cured with a heat gun. It's holding up really well.

Have you looked at the top end? Doesn't look like that motor was very well cared for during its previous life, hopefully the head didn't suffer.

Which cover do I need to take off to check on the top end? And I did have it running and there was no excessive noise coming from the top end. Would I be able to hear it

The rocker cover is the one you'll want to open up. It can be removed with the engine still in the bike if you remove the coils and breather cover. You're looking for any evidence or oil starvation. All contact surfaces should look polished. Any striations could be points of concern.

Attached is a pic of mine when I cooked the top end (lack of oil).

On the left, everything looks good. The right is no bueno.

Attachments

• 74005_488955880158_7998399_n.jpg
    74005_488955880158_7998399_n.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 433
Also, when you put everything back together, verify that the tappets are sitting on top of the valve stems before you tighten things down. They can get lodged behind the stems and if you tighten it down that way, you'll bend a valve and possibly damage the guide, too. Push the tappets as far up into the cover as you can before replacing the rocker cover onto the head.

Yup. A thin seal of Three Bond is what I use. Less is more. It'll clog up oil passages if it comes lose.

There will be a combination of M6 and M8 bolts, if my memory is correct. Torque specs are in the back of the service manual (download it if you haven't already).

Only thing that doesn't look too good is the middle camshaft journal and bearing. Think I could polish it up or is it toast?
IMG_0115_zpsbftykirr.jpg

IMG_8338_zpsasi8spph.jpg

IMG_3507_zpsp43zmbco.jpg

A polish should do it up. Not worth trashing. The lubrication channel (the angled groove) is being pulled shut. I'd see if you can take a Dremel or file and square that back up again. There's some spalling on the rocker next to that journal, too. Something to keep and eye on.

You'd really want vacuum to suck any debris out, blowing air will only force debris further down into the plumbing. I wouldn't worry too much about that, just make sure you clean the oil slinger and the mesh filter. Run some oil through for a few good heat cycles and then change it out again just to flush the system.

It will probably be worth your while to pull the cam out and polish the journal below, as well.

Well, since you have the clutch cover off and if you want to take the head off, then there are these mods.

Open up these holes a little less than a mm.

oilhole.jpg

You can open up this guy like I did here.

honda_40_zps2174a716.jpg

All in the name of oil flow to prevent from burning up the head. There is also the CJ pickup, which has become extremely hard to come by...

honda_41_zpsfcf6e3bd.jpg

Am in the process of cleaning the carbs and there seems to be a plug missing. Any ideas what I could use to plug it? Also am going to be running pods and a modified exhaust system. What is a good place to start with jetting?
IMG_4634_zpsoptpoqzj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom