Cb500 unstable in turns after new parts

AJWatUC

Been Around the Block
Hi I was hoping maybe you could give me some tips or insight. I have a 1973 CB500 I rode it for the first summer I had it. It rode great except the rear springs had been cut so going over any bump would nearly break your back. The forks seals were leaking, and the triple tree clamp was cracked. I waited till winter to fix everything. I orderes a used triple tree off eBay and took my wheels and forks off to a shop to have new wheel bearings put in and fork seals. I put everything back together and noticed the bike felt unstable in turns so I started asking around and a lot of people said change steering stem bearings so I did. I put the bike back together and still unstable in turns. I tried replacing rear springs with used factory Honda springs. I also Checked the fork oil and realized it had none. So I put in 10w30 according to the manual. Still it feels unstable in turns and I have stopped riding it altogether because it started feeling unstable at low speeds. Any idea what I could check or try that I haven’t already? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly do you mean by unstable? Does it feel like a noodle? Is it fighting you to turn? Is it on high speed or low speed turns? Do you think that it's going to fall over?
Just asking because it can be a worn suspension or rider input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Are you sure that you got the correct triple clamps? Did you tighten the new triple clamps up properly? With the front brake applied, try to move the bike back and forth to see if the triple clamp is loose. As mentioned low tire pressure can cause instability.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Are you sure that you got the correct triple clamps? Did you tighten the new triple clamps up properly? With the front brake applied, try to move the bike back and forth to see if the triple clamp is loose. As mentioned low tire pressure can cause instability.
Pretty sure when I received them I visually checked them against originals. I did torque the triple clamp up to what’s in the manual.

Ive found when messing around with stem bearings, especially tapered kits over the ball type that you if you torque them too much they can act funny, leaves a spot just off center that you will fight against trying to keep the bike straight. This will happen if you have the ball bearings as well if they are over tight.

Next time you are out, just loosen the top nut just a bit and see what happens. Take a screw driver and a hammer and tap it loose just a bit on the side of the road to see if it makes a difference.

clem said:
What exactly do you mean by unstable? Does it feel like a noodle? Is it fighting you to turn? Is it on high speed or low speed turns? Do you think that it's going to fall over?
Just asking because it can be a worn suspension or rider input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
Noodle.. It’s been at speeds 35mph and lower because It feels to sketchy to go any faster

Checked the balance of the wheels today and they seemed good. However the front wheel seems likes it’s dragging on the axle

You don't have a warped rotor do you? If it is warped and you keep your brake lever lightly pressed when you corner, it might create this, just a long shot. To clarify, when you are going straight there is no instability?

Back
Top Bottom