www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: CB750 No Plunger Hellride  (Read 5773 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
CB750 No Plunger Hellride
« on: Oct 09, 2017, 00:18:20 »
Thanks to the gracious delivery of this 70's era plunger frame from New Mexico to Alabama by Canyoncarver, I'm jumping into this chopper build with two feet. I've reached out to several forums, sorted through various catalogs and ads from the 70s, but have yet to identify the manufacturer with complete confidence.  I think it's definitely a production style frame, considering the neck.  It has two pressed in cups for a common neck tube.  The CB750 triple tree that came with the frame has a modified stem to account for the longer neck. 

We're in the sketching  phase, so things can change wildly.  Ultimately, I want to avoid common cues like peanut tanks....

It took some machine work on the steering neck cups and the RM stem to make this RM front end work...

Here is sits with a 1991 RM250 front end and RM wheels front and rear.  I like the dimension of the dirt bike wheels, plus they're aluminum.   If I decide to go drum on the rear wheel, I may go 70s era XL350.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Hurco550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes
Re: 70s Era CB750 Plunger Hellride
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09:57:34 »
 I'm in

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keep er' Between The Ditches!!!

1976 BMW R90/6 farkilitious: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74349.msg882477#msg882477
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1973 Ironhead Hardtail: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68135.msg788081#msg788081
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
1971 Yamaha 90cc twin HS1: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0
"Two strokes are the motorcycle equivalent to Thors chariot. Full of glory and memories of battles victorious" ~ von yinzer

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:37:52 »
Hell yeah man.Count me in.  8)  8)  8)

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 16:37:42 »
Work slower. You make everyone else look bad.
Jackass.

Looks cool though  ;D

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 17:27:58 »
Those forks are AWESOME on that frame.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 00:33:08 »
Grades and comments for midterms are due tomorrow, so what do I do?  Make a mount for a headlight...

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2017, 00:37:00 »
That headlight on there is the shizzle.

Offline 63SSRagtop

• Bikes and more bikes.. yup i like bikes...
    • just random stuff
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:40:19 »
Dig the frame, I've never seen one quite like this either.. can't tell if it's a weld on rear half or whole frame.. You are probably aware that the front end may be really spongy for the weight of the bike as the build goes on.. they are designed for much more travel than a street bike front end.. I've read that the fluid movevement can be restricted with a machined piece and/or stiffer springs.. worked on a cafe Suzuki that had 250 forks, they looked cool but damn it moved around way too much.. cool project though! Will keep tabs!

That frame looks to me like a Jammer frame, canít find any reference to one with a plunger rear, but someone at some point could have grafted in a Santee rear section..
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017, 14:32:32 by 63SSRagtop »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:47:54 »
Dig the frame, I've never seen one quite like this either.. can't tell if it's a weld on rear half or whole frame.. You are probably aware by that front end may be really spongy for the weight of the bike as the build goes on.. they are designed for much more travel than a street bike front end.. I've read that the fluid movevement can be restricted with a machined Peice and/or stiffer springs.. worked on a cafe Suzuki that had 250 forks, they looked cool but damn it moved around way too much.. cool project though! Will keep tabs!

That frame looks to me like a Jammer frame, canít find any reference to one with a plunger rear, but someone at some point could have grafted in a Santee rear section..

Yeah, I'm definitely considering the possibility that these forks won't work. I have tried them on a heavier dual sport contraption I built, so I think there's room to make them work here.  This is one iteration, with potentially several others. They can be valved and fluid levels adjusted to effect the dampening on these to account for weight. The rake is a big factor, as well.

I've narrowed my opinion of the frame manufacturer to either Jammer or an early Santee. Though, all the Santee plunger frames seem to have a goose neck. You may be right on about the plunger being grafted on a Jammer. The tubes which mount the springs certainly suggest that possibility...

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:08:42 »
Choppers are dumb. And I love them.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal