www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: I want to learn how to weld.  (Read 937 times)

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Re: I want to learn how to weld.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2017, 12:02:50 »
I'll recommend the Eastwood as well. Good little welder.

As for gloves and such. I have a good lid, I like my eyesight. I normally wear a leather work glove on the hand I am holding the rod with. No glove on my torch hand.

That's the one major drawback to the eastwood, no real option for a water cooled torch. That thing gets HOT when welding at 200 amps for a few minutes.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2017, 12:08:57 »
That's the one major drawback to the eastwood, no real option for a water cooled torch. That thing gets HOT when welding at 200 amps for a few minutes.

True but how often do you weld at 200 amps on a motorcycle?

I have the Eastwood TIG and with an upgraded foot pedal and a different regulator it has been a fabulous welder
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2017, 12:41:32 »
I have that helmet or similar from Eastwood and the AC-DC version.  I do have a thick welding jacket that I sometimes use but usually just a cotton work shirt and thin leather gloves for TIG.  I also have an OXY set that I use more and for that I have to use thick, insulated welding gloves because stuff gets really hot really fast with OXY. 

I tried welding old 2.5mm aluminum sheet recently on the AC setting and it wasn't pretty but it did an amazing job considering my lack of skill. 

I have tried stick and MIG and for a bike I'd go straight to TIG and get lots of practice. 

Ask around your local welding stores to see if they have classes.  One of ours runs TIG classes, but not very often.  You could also ask around and see if there's anyone in your area that can teach you the basics.   

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2017, 13:03:46 »
True that. That's where the Invertig comes in.

Online pacomotorstuff

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2017, 07:28:39 »
I'm not a pro welder but I'd suggest starting with oxy-acetylene or at least get your first lessons on it.
A lot of the skill set you learn with gas is transferable to any other type of welding.
Pat

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:32:09 »
I'm not a pro welder but I'd suggest starting with oxy-acetylene or at least get your first lessons on it.
A lot of the skill set you learn with gas is transferable to any other type of welding.
Pat
You'll have an easier time learning on tig, and moving to oxy compared to vice versa, imo.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:15:12 »
Mig is very easy to learn, I learned off a few youtube videos and practice with a Lincoln 140. In short, if you are observant, this falls into the learn by doing category. Google and youtube can teach you almost anything these days  ;D

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2017, 10:06:05 »
I started with one of the harbor freight flux welders, they do work and can lay a decent bead.  You really need to get better wire for them though, the harbor freight wire is junk.  But I upgraded to a hobart 140 with a bottle and wow, so much easier to get good welds.  Never want to do flux wire again.  But I do want to learn TIG as well, part of it is saving up for a welder.
Xs650

Offline dakine_surf

• "Stay Thirsty my Friends"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2017, 10:33:06 »
Mig is very easy to learn, I learned off a few youtube videos and practice with a Lincoln 140. In short, if you are observant, this falls into the learn by doing category. Google and youtube can teach you almost anything these days  ;D
+1

Iíve learned more from YouTube than my $250k top tier education ever did for me.

I think tig is really the way to go... but if you do go mig, stay away from flux core and go straight to a gas setup... you can get infinitely better beads with gas on your mig, and good quality wire.  I used a cheap HF flux mig to learn on and as soon as I got behind a gas mig my beads were a million times prettier.  But now I want tig and I really wish I had just gotten one of those Eastwoods from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Well I tried but I can't run no more
Tell Katie it's her that I adore
And as long as I love her best
I'm that much further west

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2017, 16:18:50 »
I was looking for a new torch for my Eastwood this morning, with a flexible head on it. Stumbled across a guy on eBay named usaweld. He sells a water cooling system for the Tig200.