www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: I want to learn how to weld.  (Read 980 times)

Offline Rat_ranger

Re: I want to learn how to weld.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2017, 16:52:45 »
Slightly related, a cheap stick welder and a manual tig torch to start learning tig.
Xs650

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2017, 19:37:35 »
I was looking for a new torch for my Eastwood this morning, with a flexible head on it. Stumbled across a guy on eBay named usaweld. He sells a water cooling system for the Tig200.

I have one of his torches on my Eastwood. The air cooled one.
I may at some point get the water cooled version.
His torches are very nice. The hose is much higher quality than the eastood one. I broke 3 at the outlet before upgrading. Eastwood replaced them all, but I got tired of dealing with it. A worthwhile upgrade.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2017, 19:38:45 »
Also the Eastwood flexible head torch is junk. Doesn't stay put and leaks argon, it's also huge. They sent me one by mistake at one point. I think it's still in my tig drawer.

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2017, 21:02:56 »
Also the Eastwood flexible head torch is junk. Doesn't stay put and leaks argon, it's also huge. They sent me one by mistake at one point. I think it's still in my tig drawer.
I was looking at his torches, are they junk, or the actual Eastwood?

Offline Hoofhearted

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2017, 17:49:06 »
An interesting read.  I'm not a welder but equally I can't afford to pay to have things welded.  I have a 110v. mig that I use for welding non vital tabs and the like.  I wouldn't use it for anything I'd have to bet my balls on.  If you do get a mig get a 220v.   Pretty welds are lovely to look at.  But without penetration you might as well use JB Weld.

I was surprised that no one mentioned a stick welder.  I have an ancient Montgomery Ward 220v stick welder.  I don't lay down pretty welds but I do get penetration  I welded up my sidecar frame 9 years ago with the stick.  Its been running at Bonneville and El Mirage for those years and no busted welds.

A mig is easiest.  Almost like paint by numbers.   Just remember weld penetration is the key.
El Mirage record 500 APS/PG 129.817
El Mirage record 500 SC/PG   122.240
El Mirage record 500 SC/PF    120.157
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG  119.667
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF   117.186
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG  111.494
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF   112. 600
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF   128.703
El Mirage  record  650 SC/PG   130.224

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2017, 19:30:09 »
I was looking at his torches, are they junk, or the actual Eastwood?

the eastood brand ones are junk.
The usaweld one I have is nice, but I have the strght head and can't speak for the flex head.

Offline DesmoBro

• Busted Nut
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2017, 20:11:53 »
"I desire the things that will destroy me in the end"

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:25:45 »
 I really appreciate all the advice, guys. I'll make time to watch the videos soon.

I talked to a couple of buddies and they've both agreed to teach me. One is a maintenance mechanic where I work. He's retiring in February and lives about two miles from me. He said he'd be happy to help and that it would be easy.
 The other has a background in electronics, but his fabrication and welding skills and professional level. He also offered to teach me.
 Both pretty much echo what has been said about stick vs. Mig vs. Tig, etc.
 The mechanic says he prefers MIG, but TIG is prettier. The other guy says TIG has the steeper learning curve but that's where you'll end up anyway, in the long run.
 I'm looking forward to learning. Probably be after the first of the year, when all the holiday OT is over.

Offline datadavid

« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:42:35 »
I hope you are aware that you get skin cancer from the radiation, wear long sleeves at least. And watch some youtube walkthroughs of the different methods. Cheap ass flux core migs ive never had any luck with, annoying, and bad ugly welds. Go for a tig, mig or oxy setup. Its really fun when you get past the "i cant do this" part. Been welding professionally for ten years myself, but i went to a proper school and became certified to work at nuclear plants a few years ago.

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2017, 10:35:29 »
i got into welding a few months ago in summer and got a TIG machine as a present.YOU CAN DO THIS!i never ever welded anything and now I can connects steel,stainless and some ugly ass ally welds :-)!
inform yourself, thereŽs a lot on youtube (weld.com, weldingtipsandtricks.com), but my advice is to directly shoot for a TIG machine,more money but in the long run you are way more flexible and can work more precise!
TIG welding is not that messy and you can adjust mostly anything!