Reciever Hitch Motorcycle Carrier Advice

ridesolo said:
How much does that weigh?
irk miller said:
846 pounds
Planning to weigh it tomorrow once I get the wheel chock done. If I'm having to guess I probably came real close to the hundred pound weight limit. Actually if we're being honest I'm pretty scared I went over it LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well poo.

38851d7bc57caeadb6594a51d8c2e16b.jpg

SONIC. said:
SCRAP IT! ;D
Reading online now.. it's really not that much heavier than off the shelf steel units

I was kidding,
Mine weighs about that much. It doesn't really matter as long as it will hold the bike.

Well I built it and loaded it. Carrier worked fine and I didn't have much issue with the piece itself, but upon the test drive the front end just felt a little to squirrelly. To much so for 9 hrs of interstate driving. If I were to put it on a truck it may be ok, but on the wife's car, I feel I would be putting us both at unnecessary risk. A short trip of an hour or so maybe, but not in this situation. For you guys that had concern about the car, you were right, and I'm choking down my own words. Thanks for the advice..

Anyone need a 111 lb boat anchor? Lol

c8720fb6220d6a29835186bfc4b378b3.jpg

I don't spoze a pair of air shocks would help out?

If you were trailering a weight distributing hitch would probably be enough to level things out for you. Too bad there isn't some way to distribute that weight over the length of the thing the same way a hitch could.

I picked a used Princess Auto model (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) up for $75 and it works great. Hauled my wife's TU250X and my SR500 on it so far.

Granted my Canyon can tow 7000 pounds so I wasn't concerned about the vehicle, but the concept and the contraption itself is solid in my eyes.

I hauled the TU250X on the highway for 4 hours, no worries. Loaded and unloaded it solo.

It has a simple ramp that mounts on either end of the carrier in a little lip to stay put, and has a spot on the carrier to be secured when not in use. You adjust the positions of the bolts spanning the carrier to create the low spots for the wheels.

1-191117173043.jpeg

When it comes to tongue weight, I'd imagine the further back from the vehicle the weight actually is, the worse off your front end is going to be.

If you're maxing out your tongue weight, it better be right there at the hitch mount, not 20" behind.

Hurco550 said:
Well I built it and loaded it. Carrier worked fine and I didn't have much issue with the piece itself, but upon the test drive the front end just felt a little to squirrelly. To much so for 9 hrs of interstate driving. If I were to put it on a truck it may be ok, but on the wife's car, I feel I would be putting us both at unnecessary risk. A short trip of an hour or so maybe, but not in this situation. For you guys that had concern about the car, you were right, and I'm choking down my own words. Thanks for the advice..

Anyone need a 111 lb boat anchor? Lol

c8720fb6220d6a29835186bfc4b378b3.jpg

I bet it will convert to a sweet single bike trailer with the addition of a torsion axle? It could be nice and light and compact.

Hard to tell from the picture but how far does it stick out? looks like you've got a long way between the handlebar and te window.
Moving it just a few inches closer will help a lot more than you'd think.

I moved mine as close in as possible (like 2 in off the window) and it helped a ton

irk miller said:
I bet it will convert to a sweet single bike trailer with the addition of a torsion axle? It could be nice and light and compact.

Levi, he's got a good point there. (As much as I hate to admit it! :D ) Make a trip over to the Shelby Mall and get one of their ready to go axle/spring set-ups or a pair of bolt-on torsion units. You're well more than half-way toward having a nice little trailer that would be perfect behind that Flex.

Back
Top Bottom