Dead Starter Button KZ400

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

I'm repairing a friends KZ400 cafe racer and I struggle with a dead starter button.
Fuse is ok (Sparck Moto loom).
Yesterday I bridged the starter relais and the starter turns nicely.
Where should I start locating the problem?

Thanks in advance!

sometimes the contacts in the switch housing get rusty and wont make a good connection, the starter button draws power through the kill switch so that has to be good for the starter button to work. I'd start there, if cleaning the contacts doesn't solve it start scrubbing the starter button circuit.

See if you actually have 12V/ground at the trigger-pin of the relay, when you push the starter button. If you do, most likely the relay is shot, if you don't, there's an issue in the wiring harness and from personal experience, I'd start at the starter button and see if that's still working and not corroded, check the solder pad on the back and then just go all the way through the wiring to the relay.

Hey guys!

Thank you for chiming in.
Had some time yesterday to investigate.
Looks like all cables coming from the starter button have continuity,checked them from the button all the way to the coil and the starter relais,continuity is ok.

Der Nanno what do you mean by trigger pin on the starter relais?
Do you mean the third contact that goes into the relais (not the + and -)?

The solder pad in the switch looks also ok,is there a way to bridge the starter switch,to check if the switch is the problem?

So guys just did the following:
I measured continuity on the black and yellow red wires coming from the starter button and its continuous so my guess is that the starter relais is done.
Also measured the Volts on the starting relais it reads 12 Volts.

Is there a way to check the starter relais for functionality?

Sent from my SM-A310F using DO THE TON mobile app

Yes I meant the third contact. If that actually changes when you press the button, it's 99.9% sure that the relay is the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom