New York title only has the 9 digit VIN thats stamped onto the neck..

kbaszak

So I'm looking at buying a bike from New York (I'm from Ohio). I've had a friend look up the vin that is on the vin plate and it comes back clean. But here's the issue, the title only has the 9 digits that are stamped onto the frame, not the entire VIN that's on the plate. I called my local DMV and they said that I would have to get the title replaced in New York and then I would be able to get an Ohio title for it. I'm not quite sure how to go about this at all, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just to be sure I understand: You are buying a bike with only a 9 digit VIN on the title, but a standard 17 digit VIN on the VIN plate, with the first 9 digits matching? If that's the case, I either wouldn't worry about it or I would get a new VIN tag made to match the title. There are companies that sell and engrave replacement VIN tags.

Well it doesn't start with the same 10 digits. It starts with JYA instead and then there's a 002CA in the 17 digit vin where there's just a dash in the 9 digit vin. I'll most likely just take the vin sticker off and go to a different dmv. The number on the stem matches with the one on the engine so I'm not afraid of anything funky going on. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom