L. F. CD175 Honda Ignition Advance Springs and 6 V Electronic Ignition Advice

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
Happy Canada Day Everyone!
As the subject line says, looking for a good set of ignition advance springs for my CD175. CB/CL/SL are probably all the same, like the points. Years ago, I could buy various tension springs to tailor the advance curve, but Gerald Ford was still president LOL.
The only stuff I've been able to find online is used baseplates - so the springs might not be any better than what I've got.
Wouldn't mind some advice on a 6 Volt electronic ignition, maybe from someone who has used a Tytronic, so I can ditch the points - and maybe the advance unit as well.
Been 30+ years since I've had to set point gap, check initial advance with an ohmmeter and shortly have to drag the strobe light from a dusty shelf in the store room to check full advance, so a re-learning experience for me. Was explaining the above to a 20-something last night and he just went, "Huh?".
I'll post this in the wanted column as well.
Thanks,
Pat

Not sure about the springs, but Tytronic is decent. It maintains the mechanical advance, but it's pretty solid in other respects.

Was there a reason you wanted to replace the springs? Have you strobed the timing yet?

Hi Matt,
Haven't strobed it yet, my immediate concern being the advance isn't returning to the idle position unless I give it a little twist after I shut the motor off. Oddly enough, no backfiring or kicking back on the kickstarter, though, so must be pretty close? I'll probably disassemble the advance unit, micropolish the shaft, relube it and just try shortening the advance springs to see if I can get a full return on the advance unit.
I've taken a spare armature cover and cut a hole in it in the area of the timing marks, going to add a plexiglass window to keep the oil in, before I temporarily attach my electronic tach and try the strobe.
The design is one of Honda's dumbest - take off a major oil retaining cover so you can check the timing. You can pump a liter of oil out of the motor like nothing, if you're slow on your timing adjustments.
I got to the point where I was starting to design the patterns to make cast, finned covers with a removable plug in the timing marks area, but seemed like overkill in the end and no market for them, anyway.
Thanks for the info on the Tytronic. I gather that it's more of a points eliminator than a true electronic ignition, though, which was really what I was after - you know, adjustable initial advance, tailer the curve, variable max advance and maybe even have programable retard at really high rpms...and all tunable by a laptop.
Pat

That sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. Springs don't go bad too often, but the unit definitely needs to be cleaned and lubed from time to time.

Pat, on our CB160 based race bikes we always threw away the advancer and while we were at it fitted Dyna or Tygonic ignitions set to full advance and they always started easily and ran faultlessly. There's a CB160 cafe racer build in the shop and it will go the same way I suspect.

I did just fit a fully programmable ignition to a GT750 but at 300 bucks plus, it seems like overkill for a little motor. Not that little bikes don't deserve love too. More that they don't really need all that technology.

Oh. And we ran CB77 PW26 carbs on our 175 and they seem to work well enough but you can also run stock carbs without much loss - except at the end of a long straightaway. On the street stock carbs and fixed ignition should be fine.

Teazer,
Thanks for the info re: full advance. Should be easy enough to lock the counterweights at full advance for a test.
Re: carburation, I've got a CB head on the bike and am running 2 CD carbs - 22mm. Bolted up to a set of SL175 intakes; the right side intake had to be cut, angled outward slightly and rewelded for the carb to clear the frame backbone (the CD175 frame has the motor biased to the left slightly). Jetting is way rich on the top end, so I need to find smaller jets (maybe from jetsrus.com?). Still breaking in the motor, the bike and the rider LOL, been too long off a street bike.
Thanks everybody for the help.
Pat

Back
Top Bottom