CB350 exhaust rosettes (or whatever)

chrisf

Over 1,000 Posts
Hi:

CB350s have a VERY heavy chrome rosette-looking thing that bolts the pipe to the head. Has anyonyone tried making one out of 304 or 321 stainless? I would think 3/16 or 1/4" thick would be plenty thick. The thought is to reduce weight and cleanup the look. But if the stock bit has a good purpose, I'll keep it.

Ideas?

--Thanks, Chris

I don't think the fins have any practial purpose. If you can machine the necessary grooves etc. to hold the shims in place, then I think you'd be fine.

They only bolt onto small 6mm studs, so there shouldn't be a temendous amount of load required - just enough to hold the header on tight against the crushable copper gaskets. So 1/4 stainless sounds like it should be enough.

Thanks guys. I thought about the ali ones too, but didn't think they'd be strong enough. If they work, even better because 1.) they are light and 2.) ali is much easier to cut than SS.

--chris

Aluminum should be fine - your entire engine is made of it :) Again, not a lot of strength is needed there. Give it a try - worst case you'll see some cracking or warping and you'll need to make a new set. Nothing that's going to do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom