whats this?

rphilli550

Been Around the Block
wireloom.jpg

im guessing is a wire loom for a CB550 as it came with my bike but i wouldnt be sure until someone varified that

It's a loom allright.... and one that doesn't deserve to get reinstalled :(

Looks like it's seen it's day.

Can't confirm visually since all 70s Hondas used the same wire colour scheme for all bikes. Is the small number tag still there? If it is then there will be a 3 digit code to corresponds to the model which you can reference witb a Honda model chart. Honestly that harness looks good for parts only. Those spare connectors will come in handy.

awesome thanks guys.

next question...

how hard is it to rebuild a set of carbs for the same bike and what would they be worth afterwards?

rphilli550 said:
awesome thanks guys.

next question...

how hard is it to rebuild a set of carbs for the same bike and what would they be worth afterwards?

It's not hard, just time consuming. You need 4 packing sets from Honda and 4 float valves. Don't bother with the aftermarket carb kits, they don't have all the o-rings and include stuff you don't need. Get the parts from a Honda dealer, they're still available. But it can add up. One packing set can be around $12 and one float valve is around $16 multiply by 4 and that's a bit of coin. A rebuilt set 4 carbs I estimate would be worth from $200-$250. But that doesn't include installation, idle speed setting, mixture, synching and other adjustments.

Looks like it inlcudes the main jet needle, idle adjustment screw and spring and float bowl gasket. You probably don't need to replace the first 3 items since they don't really wear out. But you probably need to replace all the dried out rubber o-rings that seal the jets and float valve. I can't see any in that kit. That's why I don't recommend them. You pay for what you don't need and don't get what you need.

K&L are better than Keyster from what I've heard. I've never seen a kit without o-rings, but of course yes, buying the bits from Honda is the best and most expensive route to take.

I recently sold a set of 550 carbs that were rebuilt about 18 months ago and they went for US$180 which surprised me frankly (thought they would sell for less).

Back
Top Bottom