Electronic Ignition... cb550

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
Hey, I was just gonna email Tim asking about this ex-cb550 electronic ignition but I thought I may as well just post the question for the sake of everyone else who has thought about orwill eventually think about an electronic ignition...

I found that for some reason, the timing on my points keep getting retarded..(get it??..I have a retarded bike.. LOL)...
so Im thinking of getting an electronic ignition from this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=160113534146&rd=1,1

Since I know nothing about electronics, I was wondering if this is a straight bolt on, and if not, what was the set up process?

Noel, I'm surprised your timing is off since to put it politely, your riding mileage is rather conservative. Usually the timing alters due to wear of the points from extended riding. The point gap increases therefore delaying (retarding) the ignition of the spark plug. Getting an electronic ignition will eliminate worn out points but you still need to manually time it with a light. The points get replaced with magnetic switches. Yes, it should be a direct swap. Dyna ignitions are very popular upgrades with the vintage crowd.

This is the place for your stuff.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=437

You got the Dyna coils and wires from me right? This is all you need. They offer a $384 kit that includes coils and is programmable, but you don't need that :) $120 is what you need to spend. I wished I had done this the first time around on my 550 when I got hosed for $60+ worth of Honda OEM points and condensers. Waste of money.

Thanks Gents.....I appreciate it.

Yep Tim, I have the Dyna coils from you... looks like one of them is defective. Im not getting spark from one of the coils but no problem from the other when I swap them back and fourth. Its gone in for testing so I'll know in a bit.

So I ordered the ignition for Z1 as you recommended..I cant wait.. No more retarded bike..

Its funny, after I had the timing readjusted, and even advanced a bit, the rattling from the cam chain, (at low RPMs), seems to have disappeared completely and its idling nicely at 1000 when it warms up... wierd....

Cheers
N

Back
Top Bottom