All quiet on the home front ???

Pick me pick me.... ;) haha.

Who've you got in mind beachy ??

edit: It's good old Unc isn't it. How does he do it? :)

NoRiders said:
Pick me pick me.... ;) haha.

Who've you got in mind beachy ??

edit: It's good old Unc isn't it. How does he do it? :)

That's the problem NR .... we have so many talented builders this side of the pond to choose from.

I should have started a thread I suppose but its going together so easily that I don't want to jinx it!!
Today for example I came across a nice old Swedish made qa throttle I'd had lying about for years.....thought it would look the part but didn't really fancy sodding about for hours making a cable that would likely end up just too short but then happened to notice the po had put a new cable on the bike before I ripped it apart....and it fitted perfectly! Adjusters right in the middle, even the curved steel bend went round the master cylinder just right....

Attachments

• 001 (3).JPG
    001 (3).JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 002 (3).JPG
    002 (3).JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 003 (3).JPG
    003 (3).JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 406
  • 011 (3).JPG
    011 (3).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 408
That's coming along nicely Unc. Trumper engine looks right*. Nice touch on the throttle, looks cool. I hope to use a Domino set up on the Suzonda.

* the rocker cover looks tight to the frame, will it clear for servicing?

BTW - anyone looking for a relatively cheap version of that throttle, Some BMW Airheads had a very similar system.

Also some Airheads had a remote master cylinder, so you could use a traditional looking cable front brake without having a GBFO m/c stuck out in the breeze. BMW mounted theirs on the top frame tube under the tank. I used one on the Vindicator mock up before I switched to the Grimeca hub / brake.

I think I still have a few of them in my stash somewhere !!

The throttle is much the same as those cheap Emgos just nicer quality.....good thought on the master cylinder TJ....had forgotten all about them! Am planning on getting an original type letterbox fairing and just widening it by an inch or so rather than spend days and days making my own (though made a copy of the seat today but forgot to take a pic) will see what clearance issues arise once I've got hold of one....
You're right about cam cover Colin, had originally planned the top tubes to meet up with the little ones running to the steering head and that would have given the space to remove it. But in the end decided to sacrifice ease of maintenance for a bit of extra rigidity.....my thinking being its now fairly light and doesn't have loads of bits to take off so you only need to undo 6 bolts to lift the whole frame up off the motor to get room....
Pleased with the weight also btw, with a box full of calipers, discs, battery etc perched on top of the frame its currently at 162kg with probably less than 10 more to add....original bike weighed in at 214kg!

unclerob said:
The throttle is much the same as those cheap Emgos just nicer quality.....good thought on the master cylinder TJ....had forgotten all about them! Am planning on getting an original type letterbox fairing and just widening it by an inch or so rather than spend days and days making my own (though made a copy of the seat today but forgot to take a pic) will see what clearance issues arise once I've got hold of one....
You're right about cam cover Colin, had originally planned the top tubes to meet up with the little ones running to the steering head and that would have given the space to remove it. But in the end decided to sacrifice ease of maintenance for a bit of extra rigidity.....my thinking being its now fairly light and doesn't have loads of bits to take off so you only need to undo 6 bolts to lift the whole frame up off the motor to get room....
Pleased with the weight also btw, with a box full of calipers, discs, battery etc perched on top of the frame its currently at 162kg with probably less than 10 more to add....original bike weighed in at 214kg!

I have at least 4 [ !! ] of those remote cylinders in my stash somewhere if you want to try one out. They really do the job - if that's the look you're going for.

Many thanks TJ but will hold off on that for now....mainly because then I'd have to try and do the same with the clutch! Would be interested to know what the mc bore is though if you happen top know? I'm aiming to have the bike done within the 3 next or 4 weeks and I'm already very good at making extra work for myself....today I decided to make a grp copy of the oil tank used on the original bikes and hide all the electrical components inside it....and fairly sure I then won't be able to resist making fake oil lines to hide all the engine wiring inside!!

Couple more pics of the Trident....

Attachments

• 005 (5).JPG
    005 (5).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 679
  • 003 (4).JPG
    003 (4).JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 671
  • 001 (4).JPG
    001 (4).JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 658
beachcomber said:
I'll get the specs for you this week. TJ

Apologies .. couldn't find them !! "Somewhere" in my garage. I have to make a major clear out / clear up soon. I'll post details / pix as and when for future ref.

No problem TJ and thanks anyway...I'm fairly happy with the way it is at the moment specially after I found a start/kill button on a shelf that fitted exactly between throttle and m/c!
I had a major clearout too a couple of weeks ago .....and yesterday realised one of the things that got cleared out was a bag that had the rear caliper, speedo cable and various other Trident bits in it.....bugger!

unclerob said:
No problem TJ and thanks anyway...I'm fairly happy with the way it is at the moment specially after I found a start/kill button on a shelf that fitted exactly between throttle and m/c!
I had a major clearout too a couple of weeks ago .....and yesterday realised one of the things that got cleared out was a bag that had the rear caliper, speedo cable and various other Trident bits in it.....bugger!
Another reminder to never throw away anything, and probably not do too much cleaning either..

Fortunately though I chucked my rubbish in someone elses skip (too lazy to go to the tip!) which was still here and after a rather grubby hunt this morning found the missing bits....!!

Since its still quiet on the home front heres a few more pics of progress in windy Kent!!

Attachments

• 001 (8).JPG
    001 (8).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 839
  • 001 (9).JPG
    001 (9).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 904
  • 004 (7).JPG
    004 (7).JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 001 (5).JPG
    001 (5).JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 906
I am belittled by big Unc Rob's build progress and all I have is a few used parts in coming for project Suzonda.

peLqJhC.jpg

An impending house move in Jan 2018, if all goes to plan, will see me in a much bigger full width dbl garage, so the Suzi can be in one place (rather than parts at home and workshop 20miles away)...hopefully I can get more done? Thanks for checking in.

NR, I sympathise with the work locations ! Fortunately I am about to move the KZ project round to my pal's garage where I will have room. light. HEAT, no rain drips and an on tap supply of coffee !!!

Uncle - yes a true inspiration to those of us still at it ! Apart from the superb workmanship - they just look right !

BTW ............... Uncle Rob - do you have a spare Grimeca wheel spindle nut ? Mine went AWOL with the various moves. I'm reliably informed the thread is 15mm x 1.25 [ ? ] ..... trust the Italians to go oddball !

I should have TJ as I used a Norton spindle in the end but quite where it now lives is anyones guess....will have a look tomorrow....can't be far!

unclerob said:
I should have TJ as I used a Norton spindle in the end but quite where it now lives is anyones guess....will have a look tomorrow....can't be far!

You're my hero ................

Back
Top Bottom