CB750 No Plunger Hellride Freedom Machine

Re: CB750 No Plunger Hellride

You could use "Cast Blast" to paint the frame. It gives the look of fresh clean cast iron.
Or
Marbles Engine might be cool and give the appearance of fresh, bright aluminum.
Or
I always wondered how raw steel would age if sprayed w transparent adhesion promoter then 2k clear topcoat???

trek97 said:
You could use "Cast Blast" to paint the frame. It gives the look of fresh clean cast iron.
Or
Marbles Engine might be cool and give the appearance of fresh, bright aluminum.
Or
I always wondered how raw steel would age if sprayed w transparent adhesion promoter then 2k clear topcoat???
First two suggestion still include painting it. ;) LOL. It's actually patina'd pretty nicely from the New Mexico desert air where Kelly got it from. I just need to get the hardtail to match. I have some tricks to do it. But, why I'm considering not painting it is because the patina is really good. Plus, the wear marks on the tank set up nicely for the frame as it is. The rear of the tank where the original seat was has no paint. The paint has completely worn through.

Any baffles or muffler in that exhaust at all? It sounded pretty good.

john83 said:
Any baffles or muffler in that exhaust at all? It sounded pretty good.
Yep. It's all homemade, but it's in there.

77150-280618173412-39831216.jpeg

77150-280618173413-3984611.jpeg

I just rebuilt these forks. I didn't take any pics, since it's so hard to visualize all the cussing and slinging of fork oil all over the shop. Funny thing, no internet searches reveal any information on rebuilding the forks for a 1985 CR500. I had to figure it out myself. They have some bushings which will throw you for a loop and the typical age stuff. All in all, it was a blast. A real blast.

Homemade muffler is badass.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

trek97 said:

About 80% of the rat rods (and there are hundreds around here) in this area are done that way. Just says to me that they care more about performance than appearance, and that's cool with me as long as the power train is not stock. We will see in a few years how they age.

pidjones said:
About 80% of the rat rods (and there are hundreds around here) in this area are done that way. Just says to me that they care more about performance than appearance, and that's cool with me as long as the power train is not stock. We will see in a few years how they age.
I've done two tanks now like this (minus the adhesion promoter) with different results. Seems like moisture is retained in the steel - the more you can drive that moisture out by heating the tank before the 2K, the less rust will appear under the clear. At least that's what I've found. Fair bit of rust now on the one tank I cleared in humid conditions, none on the tank I cleared after heating it.

Mind you, the rust that does appear is weird. Never seen rust like it - it looks like hairs. Peculiar.

Chopper's looking killer man.

The Jimbonaut said:
Mind you, the rust that does appear is weird. Never seen rust like it - it looks like hairs. Peculiar.

Chopper's looking killer man.
Thanks, Jim. The structure of the rusting probably has mostly to do with the surface of the steel- sanding marks, etc. The water fits into those marks and becomes rust later. If you treat the metal with a solution of phosphoric acid such as OSPHO before your clear coat, I bet that doesn't happen.

This post is not in response to anything posted here, but I feel that it needs to be said..

From all of us who enjoy a tastefully done chopper... I just wanted to say...

Thanks for using those handlebars and not a giant set of ape hangers!!!! ;)

Hurco550 said:
This post is not in response to anything posted here, but I feel that it needs to be said..

From all of us who enjoy a tastefully done chopper... I just wanted to say...

Thanks for using those handlebars and not a giant set of ape hangers!!!! ;)
My man.

The low bars do look better. Just sayin, I started with drag bars and forward controls on my chop. I'm doing 12" apes now because they are way more comfortable for my chassis.

The low bars are really comfortable for me and this bike. If 12" apes were more comfortable, I would most certainly run them. That said, I think the look of these low bars makes sense with this bike too. I was hoping to keep it somewhat out of the box, hence the dirt bike wheels and forks.

irk miller said:
The low bars are really comfortable for me and this bike. If 12" apes were more comfortable, I would most certainly run them. That said, I think the look of these low bars makes sense with this bike too. I was hoping to keep it somewhat out of the box, hence the dirt bike wheels and forks.

Your bars fit the bike really well plus yours has mid-controls for your feet which is nice. Mids really change the riding position, it's why I'm doing mids on the FXR. More aggressive, less laid-back.

yeah, even smaller apes look good on some choppers, im just talking the big ol stupid ones.

All of this is just in my opinion anyways... that and 65 cents will get you a senior cup o joe at Mc Donalds.

Hurco550 said:
yeah, even smaller apes look good on some choppers, im just talking the big ol stupid ones.

All of this is just in my opinion anyways... that and 65 cents will get you a senior cup o joe at Mc Donalds.

I keep forgetting to ask for the senior discount there and everywhere's else for that matter.

Eric, bike looks awesome, and as I said earlier, you got that thing going and mine still sits with efed up carbs.

Forgive the...errm..personal question, but what's your inside leg measurement?
I ask because will you fit - legs seat to pegs when riding?

NoRiders said:
Forgive the...errm..personal question, but what's your inside leg measurement?
I ask because will you fit - legs seat to pegs when riding?
It would be really dumb of me to say it’s comfortable without sitting on it, or to get this far into a build without knowing it fits. I usually try on my shoes at the store, not when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 201

Own it. You look like my mate Norm. How did it look/feel with the back of the seat raised a few inches?

Back
Top Bottom