1977 BMW R100/7 Sarcoplasmic Cow Hellride

Re: 1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

irk miller said:
Max BMW posted a tank for $100 on eBay with $50 shipping. It's dented, but very fixable. I jumped on that tank...

s-l1600.jpg

cool. use it as is and call it patina.

Fresh push rod boots, hone and rings plus scotch brite to the piston face...

9516e4cf01e7e343c7c28448c8742531.jpg

9360cb8392099567ca7cb799aeba8d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

That paint combo is Red Smoke and was the original color on my 78 r100s. All the pin was hand done by the ladies in the factory. Cool find for cheap. Those push rod seals would have been the first thing to start pissing after you rode it a couple hundred miles. Notorious for marking their territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellwood said:
That paint combo is Red Smoke and was the original color on my 78 r100s. All the pin was hand done by the ladies in the factory.
Plan is to do a variation on that very scheme, but with a candy red instead.

79a5ea4s-960.jpg

mmhmmm

the smoke under the candy red on my bike is actually a deep blue. Comes up the purplish after the candy red on top. Smoke is a pain though. But it didn't look right to me just solid red. Lots of variants out there on how to paint these tanks differently. If it has the good red liner still in it...that stuff is super tough.

Ellwood said:
If it has the good red liner still in it...that stuff is super tough.
Unfortunately, no views of the inside of the tank. I paid $50 for the crap one, so at $100 it would have to be pretty bad. Beings it came from Max BMW, i feel pretty good that it's in decent shape inside. Having to swish in some Red Kote wouldn't be the end of the world either.

On a side note. Good super flake candy always reminds me of those fancy kick ass bowling balls from the 70's and when every cool bike had a flake banana seat. Still drawn to shiny bass boats too

irk miller said:
Unfortunately, no views of the inside of the tank. I paid $50 for the crap one, so at $100 it would have to be pretty bad. Beings it came from Max BMW, i feel pretty good that it's in decent shape inside. Having to swish in some Red Kote wouldn't be the end of the world either.
They would have said something... great company... it would have hit the trash before they'd put it off on someone.

Tonight, I set out to replace the rear main, the neutral safety switch, while also lubing up the transmission input splines. The driveshaft boot looks good. I'll replace the driveshaft flange bolts, as they're one time use. I got as far as here:
63a6e7bf58ff0d97ee2ff8bf71edef98.jpg

When I realized the swing arm pivot bolts are 27mm and I don't have a socket. Fuck my life. I have 25,26, and 28.

PAUSE

Tank arrived from Max BMW. This is a great deal. The liner is perfect. The dents are totally fixable, especially since these tanks are made from at least 18ga sheet...

c58ab8cbf53e6361337b77b9991b984e.jpg

d6fe2aceebc61c58f90dd0b53c65d5a5.jpg

cb1230266f8892675ffae4331ddd0937.jpg

Nice find on the tank. I want to try using an inflatable cuff from a sphygmomanometer to push out dents from the inside.

advCo said:
Nice find on the tank. I want to try using an inflatable cuff from a sphygmomanometer to push out dents from the inside.

I'm trying vinegar and baking soda first with cap and a quick connect fitting over the fuel ports and a cap in the filler tank hole. These are so thick and reinforced, I feel good about it. You have to be careful with the Jap tanks. They are always super thin metal and the tunnel is not reinforced. When I tried vinegar and baking soda on an XT tank, it mostly popped the dents out, but not all the way, and it caused the tank's tunnel to spread out and widen. They split at the seams easily, plus spreading them and having to push them back in can cause the metal to crack.

Scratch the vinegar and baking soda idea. Kanticoy just informed me he blew the seam on the very same tank when he tried it. Maybe regulated air pressure, or just suck it up and pull them with studs then fill.

Drop a fire cracker in it. If one don't do it...try 5. Lol
Ps. I got 11 lbs of FFF and 4 lbs of FFFF in my basement.

Now I have my BMW specialty tool- a 27mm socket trimmed a few mil at the end to be flat and the OD taken down to 34.5mm for 9mm of its length...

88dfde36161121500edf6d241f6a6324.jpg

Ichiban said to stop by Gander Mountain and get some tannerite...it'll blow those dents out in hurry.

Back
Top Bottom