'85 Kawasaki ZX900 (GPz900R)

Cafe-XV750

Been Around the Block
I picked up back in Aug '10 cheap. Previous (2nd) owner didn't have it long but really screwed up the carbs - I was able to get it running right w/o too many issues. Ratty seat, dented tank, cracked plastics and faded/peeling decals. The lower fairing was busted into 3pcs and couldn't be salvaged - so eventually found a repairable whole one.
RHS-1.jpg
LHS-1.jpg

Cleaned it up a little, took care of maintenance items, made it safe and rode it 'fighter' for 1.5yrs (ie. no lower fairing or belly pan). She runs great and can still pull mid-40s MPG if light on the throttle (which isn't often ;D).

After riding into a local vintage bike show parking this past summer, realized the cosmetics really needed attention - so tore it apart 4th of July weekend and started stripping, fixing, filling and painting (all rattlecan - 1-part primer, color and SprayMax 2k clear). Finally finished re-assembly this past weekend and now back on-the-road. Not perfect but IMO better than OE paint and I'm a lot happier to have a nicer looking rider. Wasn't really a fan of the US-market 'Ninja' script on the side panels so added (later model) ROW 'GPz900R' script to the sides of the bellypan (rather than on than on the side panels as original).
gpz-110-16-12.jpg
gpz-2-10-16-12.jpg

Yeah the 4-to-1 exhaust and shorty-hacked muffler aren't restoration-worthy, but I like the setup as it's light and loud ... perhaps someday I'll find/fit a factory system but not in a hurry.

Not a fan of the OE floppy rear turn signals styling and/or function wise ... might rework that area someday.

Give us a wave if you see us out on the road ...

Now back to focusing on finishing the cafe XV750.

I'm a huge fan of this bike, (top gun was my first exposure to it)

Glad you restored it, I'd love to pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom