71 CL350 Cafe Time for the build thread![A New Look]

Re: 71 CL350 Cafe Time for the build thread!

diesel450 said:
Thats cool!

My return comment to them is always "Nice bike, Sorry bout your dick though."

Part of the reason I went with an orange and black color scheme on my R5 is that that little two stroke is going to surprise some HD riders light to light and then their beards will smell like two stroke the rest of the day. ;D

Hell yeah. I've been eyeing a beater water buffalo. I want a 2T bad. I love'em loud and stinky.

Thats great man. I live in HD country (my neighbor has a sign in his garage that tells me so) so I hear the "girls bike, fag bike, Jap shit" comments all the time. I think about what they say as Im riding by them washing their bikes or passing them in the back roads all the time. :D

VonYinzer said:
Thats great man. I live in HD country (my neighbor has a sign in his garage that tells me so) so I hear the "girls bike, fag bike, Jap shit" comments all the time. I think about what they say as Im riding by them washing their bikes or passing them in the back roads all the time. :D

"jap shit" always kills me. Seriously, how man almost 40 year old Harleys do you see on the road? I sure don't come across to many. Here in Cleveland though, you can throw a rock and come damn near hitting an old CB and the like.

djelliott said:
Ah yes, the old "girls bike" thing that they like to say. Let me tell you. I have a 125cc scooter that I hot rodded the shit out of to do 80+ MPH. I catch flack from MC folks all the time on it. I always say "nothing says don't fuck with me like a guy whose perfectly comfortable doing freeway speeds on a tiny ass bike". On a HOG that ain't shit. A "girl" could do that no problem. On 10in wheels it becomes a pucker moment for sure. I road that scooter on the dragon and totally destroyed these two dudes on brand new BMW's. Made the featured blog on killboy.com too.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3Q/Si9A9IrtXHI/AAAAAAAAXOA/vMAio6Ext28

/s1600-h/img_7937.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3Q/Si9A9IrtXHI/AAAAAAAAXOA/vMAio6Ext28/s1600-h/img_7937.jpg

You are totally bad-ass! On the Dragon, no less! I've always wanted to buy a pocket bike and do that. Cool pic.

VonYinzer said:

Nothing shuts up a Hardley blowhard than the Dyno Drags. If you've never been, go! The Teresi Dyno Drag truck travels around the country to all the big HD boutiques (I refuse to call them shops :D) You'll have to put up with a sea of denim (old school), do-rags, and leather clad pseudo gang member looking rich folks (RUBs). Anyway, when these dudes see what types of numbers Japanese bikes post, their reactions are priceless. Most have no idea what kind of performance an I-4 is capable of. You'll see a steady stream of people hauling their H-Ds up and post like 60-70ish hp. and ridiculously slow reaction times and 1/4 mile times. Very comical, indeed. It's also great to see some dude run a high dollar custom or a built HD engine and then blow it up! H-Ds are so overmatched, that they don't let them run against sport bikes. Buells can run against Japanese bikes but seldom do for the same reason. I have a buddy that rides some kind of geezer glide parade float of a bike and he once asked me what kind of power my '98 ZX9R (jetted, full race exhaust, dyno tuned) was putting out. I said 138.6 at the wheel. He nodded and said "That's about what mine puts out. So, our bikes are about the same...". My jaw just about hit the ground! :D

Hey DJ....
That EX front end is a good one, you can make the emulators from Mike's XS work quite nicely. Great upgrade for $50! If you haven't purchased clip-ons yet lemme know. I saw a pic that I'll try to find of clip-ons that bolt to the top like those but let the fork tubes pass thru. However you should probably consider lowering the forks themselves rather than just dropping the yokes....you may have already taken care of it though....I'm guilty of speeding thru your thread.

Your bke is gonna be killer man!

biker_reject said:
You are totally bad-ass! On the Dragon, no less! I've always wanted to buy a pocket bike and do that. Cool pic.

We're doing the same rally this year but our team is bringing 3 modified Sachs Madasses. Those will be a hoot on the day at the dragon.

79984d1209606398-check-out-my-madass-sachs-madass_1.jpg

Swagger said:
Hey DJ....
That EX front end is a good one, you can make the emulators from Mike's XS work quite nicely. Great upgrade for $50! If you haven't purchased clip-ons yet lemme know. I saw a pic that I'll try to find of clip-ons that bolt to the top like those but let the fork tubes pass thru. However you should probably consider lowering the forks themselves rather than just dropping the yokes....you may have already taken care of it though....I'm guilty of speeding thru your thread.

Your bke is gonna be killer man!

Thanks swagger. I'll look at mike's for those. I've seen those clip ons you're talking about. I'm just holding out for a set that won't break the bank. For now I'm just going to slide the tubes through the yolk. I want to be certain I like where the bike is sitting before I start cutting into things. I'm dropping the motor in tonight so I should be able to get an idea where she sits under a full load. Um....did that last come off a little dirty? ::)

wink nudge......
<whisper>Psssst! I'll hep ya out brutha...>/whisper>

Swagger said:
wink nudge......
<whisper>Psssst! I'll hep ya out brutha...>/whisper>

OH! Do tell. Do you have a line on some poor boy 37mm clip ons?

MOTORS IN!!

4454400692_f72007e295_b.jpg

4450929323_3e00528582_b.jpg

Sorry for the shitty iPhone picks.

So shiney and clean.... very cool man. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. I've starting to call the bike "Frankenstein" because it's made from so many other bikes bits and pieces. The motor was pieced together from 3 different CL350 motors plus all the aftermarket stuff. There are also pieces on the bike from:

94 EX500 - front end.
05 EX500 - Caliper and master cylinder
91 EX500 - break rotor mated to a 74 CB360 rotor mount
74 CB360 - Front Wheel disassemble speedo drive to mate with EX500 speedo receiver.
92 CBR600 - Rear sets.
87 CBR600 - Clip ons (in the mail)

Plus loads of other nuts, bolts, etc...........

I looked at it the other day and Sting's famous line from the movie "The Bride" came to mind.

"I sewed you together from corpses and brought you to life!"

Ha! My CB project is similar, the front wheel is made of components of three CB wheels and I learned how to lace from watching youtube vids! It took me three tries, the first two attempts ending in frustration and screaming obscenities! I have carbs cannibalized from two sets and am still trying to put together a front brake master/caliper combo that works! then, I have a Frankenbuell project that is made up of many Buells as the only salvageable parts off the donor was the lower half of the engine, the rear wheel, and rear brake rotor/master. Fun, ain't it? :D

biker_reject said:
Ha! My CB project is similar, the front wheel is made of components of three CB wheels and I learned how to lace from watching youtube vids! It took me three tries, the first two attempts ending in frustration and screaming obscenities! I have carbs cannibalized from two sets and am still trying to put together a front brake master/caliper combo that works! then, I have a Frankenbuell project that is made up of many Buells as the only salvageable parts off the donor was the lower half of the engine, the rear wheel, and rear brake rotor/master. Fun, ain't it? :D

Yeah, it's great being able to repurpose all these different parts. Maybe I should name the bike Voltron!

A heads up on that front end......

You'll want to actually lower it internally rather than run with the tubes slipped up like that. The ex front end has a good amount of wheel travel and also comes with a 17" wheel with a lower profile tire than the hoop you have slotted in (looks great by the way), and it WILL bottom out and stop the wheel....instantly.
Launching over the bars after a good bump is not good. The bike dancing on your back right afterward is just plain rude....and very likely to happen. If you do the lowering internally you'll be well served and it'll make the forks marginally more rigid.

Tomos!
I have one in the back with a bad motor. I've been thinking about it since seeing this post.
I've got the 17s off a wrecked Ninja (ex250) that look like they'll slot in pretty well and they are juuuust small enough but will still allow real tires....and brakes(!!!!). I think a Lifan 150 with a few choice goodies may go in one of these days.....never ridden the thing but it looks like a riot for around town.

lookin great!

where did you find those pretty tappet covers?

Swagger said:
A heads up on that front end......

You'll want to actually lower it internally rather than run with the tubes slipped up like that. The ex front end has a good amount of wheel travel and also comes with a 17" wheel with a lower profile tire than the hoop you have slotted in (looks great by the way), and it WILL bottom out and stop the wheel....instantly.
Launching over the bars after a good bump is not good. The bike dancing on your back right afterward is just plain rude....and very likely to happen. If you do the lowering internally you'll be well served and it'll make the forks marginally more rigid.

Tomos!
I have one in the back with a bad motor. I've been thinking about it since seeing this post.
I've got the 17s off a wrecked Ninja (ex250) that look like they'll slot in pretty well and they are juuuust small enough but will still allow real tires....and brakes(!!!!). I think a Lifan 150 with a few choice goodies may go in one of these days.....never ridden the thing but it looks like a riot for around town.

Swagger my man, thanks for the inspiration and your persistence to get me to do this the proper way. My project tonight will be to internally lower the forks. Really it is the only way. I have to drop them like 3 inches and that's just way to much tube over the yokes. I imagined last night how painful a crash or even a heavy panic stop would be with that much tube in the way (ouch!).

So, can anyone post me that nice little diagram that comes up from time to time on fork lowering? I'll poke around too and see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom