Japan Meets Britain...

BArTY said:
that is one clean bike my friend!

Thanks -- It should hopefully be even cleaner in about two months. Brought the tank, side covers and front fender to the painter today (same motif is going to be done, but it will be improved), and the tank side panels and rear brake arm are going to the chromer next week. Front end is going to be tweaked slightly, and hopefully it might even be nominated for a bike of the month sometime!

Total mileage logged in 2009 is just over 4100 miles. Next year is Mid-Ohio again in July, and (hopefully) the Barber Museum in October.

Bike is at the mechanic's now, and is apart. The tank, side panels, and front fender are now at the painter -- the tank and front fender are going to be redone in the same motif, but some things are going to be refined and improved. The side panels are going to be touched up. Should all be done by the end of the month.

The tank side panels, rear brake arm, and steering damper were sent to the chromer yesterday. This stuff should be done within a week or two.

My mechanic is going to machine two aluminum 'cups' that are going to replace the black rings that sit atop the external fork springs. Rear brake is going to be reworked so that it actually has some effect. New rear tire, plug wires, a shorter front brake cable, as well as a general service, and it will be ready for the 2010 riding season!

Just got an e-mail from Ronnie Brown yesterday, and the chrome work is already done and in the mail! I don't think I know of a chromer who has a quicker turnaround time (7 days!).

The aluminum cups for the front end are being machined this week, a new (shorter) front brake cable is on the way, as are a pair of replacement front brake stopper arm lockwashers and a new fuel screen for the petcock. Paint work should be done within 2 weeks....yikes, we could be riding the new and improved beast within a few weeks!

Of course, that will put us into February and it may only still be about 35 degrees, but that's just a minor detail.... ;D

Got the chrome back yesterday, and it all looks great! Just waiting now for the paint to be done (next week), and a couple of small parts to arrive in the mail.

chrome1-1.jpg

Chrome2-2.jpg

Okay so the paint took a bit longer than originally planned (always the way!). But now everything is officially in the mechanic's hands, and hopefully the beast will be put back together and done by the end of the week. I went and checked out the progress, and things are looking good. Presently, the front end is all buttoned up -- John made the aluminum 'cups' for the upper part of the external springs and the newly chromed steering damper is back together and installed (in a word, the front end is PERFECT). The newly chromed side panels are on the freshly painted tank, and it looks very shiny and clean! The main fuse has been converted from a glass style to a flat plug type (much better!), the new brake pads are in the rear hub, K&N filters have been serviced, new spark plugs are in, new (shorter) front brake cable is hooked up, new petcock strainer, newly chromed rear brake arm, and a few other fiddly bits have been completed. The only things that still need to be done are to install the new rear tire, tube/rim tape, repaint the swingarm, and a few final touchups and we're complete! And they're calling for more snow this week -- hooray!!!!

There are also going to be a few less decals on the bike -- specifically, the 'Made in Japan' on the left side of the swingarm is going away, the Esso Tiger on the front fender, and quite possibly the Isle of Man TT decal on the front fender as well. The two flags on tip of the front fender are staying, as are the crossed flags on the side covers and the Ace Cafe decal on the tank (which is going to be slightly larger than the previous one). There is a 1960's NOS aluminum dealer badge from England that's replacing the 59 Club decal on the rear fender, and we'll see what else might be appropriate. My good friend Phil in the UK sent me some really sweet Honda decals from the Honda Collection Hall in Japan (Thanks Phil!), and I think one of them might find its way onto the bike this time around.

A selection of the decals that are soon to be adorning the machine....
decals.jpg

Well the bike is done!

I stopped by John's today and he was putting a few final touches on it, and I'm going to be picking it up on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the results!

John's putting the finishing touches on the bike
Honda2010-1.jpg

That crazy front end
Honda2010-2.jpg

Perfect!
Honda2010-5.jpg

Period UK dealer badge makes it right
Honda2010-4.jpg

What this project is all about
Honda2010-3.jpg

Ready to go!
Honda2010-6.jpg

Got the bike back home this morning -- unfortunately I wimped out and trailered the bike (horrors!).

Hopefully if the weather is decent and the roads are dry tomorrow, I'll take it out for a ride to see how it is. C'mon spring!

Honda2010-7a.jpg

Honda2010-8.jpg

Honda2010-9.jpg

Thanks to everyone here for your words of encouragement, advice, and empathy during this project -- I'm sure it's not over yet!

I think this is the total rundown of what 'we' did these last two months:

Repainted tank, side panels, front fender in the same motif; Repainted swingarm; Machined the two aluminum 'cups' for the top of the external fork springs; new rear tire (3.25x18 Dunlop K82) and tube; New rear brake shoes; Converted glass main fuse to a flat plug-in type fuse (I think this was a smart thing to do - particularly since I ride the bike so much); Greased the bearings in the starter motor; New (shorter) front brake cable; Rechromed tank side panels, rear brake arm, hydraulic steering damper; Oil change/filter service, new plugs, general going-over; Compression test (great!); Serviced the K&N filters; Replaced a few bolts with stainless; New petcock screen; Checked valves; The all important installation of the vintage dealer plate and new decals!

The thing that I appreciate is that John (my mechanic) is very understanding of my weirdness/obsession with the 'art project', and I'm sure that many other mechanics would not be willing to put in the time or be as detailed as he is. I am definitely aware of my mechanical limitations, and I do apologize for having enlisted outside sources to do much of this work on my behalf over these 5 years, but there's no way I could achieve the kind of results these professionals achieve -- they do it every day, and many of them have been doing what they do for over 30 years. But the one thing I think I am good at is coming up with the concept, researching, then gathering the parts and resources together, and finding the right people to help make it happen. I have TONS of respect for you guys who can do everything yourselves, but I know I just don't have those kinds of mechanical talents that many of you have.

It just seems that men don't stand around motorcycles anymore in their cardigans and smoking their pipes....

PipeCardigan.jpg

BRAVO!

Vince Lupo said:
Thanks to everyone here for your words of encouragement, advice, and empathy during this project -- I'm sure it's not over yet!

I think this is the total rundown of what 'we' did these last two months:

Repainted tank, side panels, front fender in the same motif; Repainted swingarm; Machined the two aluminum 'cups' for the top of the external fork springs; new rear tire (3.25x18 Dunlop K82) and tube; New rear brake shoes; Converted glass main fuse to a flat plug-in type fuse (I think this was a smart thing to do - particularly since I ride the bike so much); Greased the bearings in the starter motor; New (shorter) front brake cable; Rechromed tank side panels, rear brake arm, hydraulic steering damper; Oil change/filter service, new plugs, general going-over; Compression test (great!); Serviced the K&N filters; Replaced a few bolts with stainless; New petcock screen; Checked valves; The all important installation of the vintage dealer plate and new decals!

The thing that I appreciate is that John (my mechanic) is very understanding of my weirdness/obsession with the 'art project', and I'm sure that many other mechanics would not be willing to put in the time or be as detailed as he is. I am definitely aware of my mechanical limitations, and I do apologize for having enlisted outside sources to do much of this work on my behalf over these 5 years, but there's no way I could achieve the kind of results these professionals achieve -- they do it every day, and many of them have been doing what they do for over 30 years. But the one thing I think I am good at is coming up with the concept, researching, then gathering the parts and resources together, and finding the right people to help make it happen. I have TONS of respect for you guys who can do everything yourselves, but I know I just don't have those kinds of mechanical talents that many of you have.

Courtesy of my friend Lee (and I tweaked it a bit). This version was taken back in 1966 when I was much older.....

Vincecardigan4.jpg

A good example of a concept that became an idea that became a solution....

I've always thought that the side covers 'needed' something more than just the two flags, and considered/tried a bunch of different options, but none of them worked. Then, while in the shower yesterday (funny how these ideas come to you in the shower!) I thought of a ribbon with '1966' on it. Before heading to Lee's house yesterday I quickly drew a ribbon with forked ends, wrote 1966 in the middle, and headed out to Lee's. Lee saw it, then improved it, and here is the result.

The artist at work
Cover1.jpg

Taking shape
Cover1a.jpg

Drying in the sun
Cover3.jpg

Perfection!
Cover2.jpg

An interesting link to photos of Robert Pirsig's 1968 motorcycle trip from Minnesota to California (he wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance). Hopefully within 3 years I will retrace this route on my SuperHawk!

http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/Pictures-Robert-Pirsigs-original-1968-trip/aam

Back
Top Bottom