Brake cable converson

Dirty71

Gettin a little friendly with the tailpipe are we?
Does anyone know if there is a kit or something to convert my cb750 from the rod to a cable like this or would i have to fab it all up myself
KIF_3264.jpg

Rearbrake.jpg

I'm in the middle of doing one myself. The cable stop looks easy enough to fab just with a bandsaw and drill press. Drill and tap a bolt hole to attach to the brake plate. My brake plate is way too small to do that. So, I have to swing the arm downfacing and put the anchor/cable stop on the brake stay. I'll likely fab the stay too, in aluminum. I found a rear brake cable from a Honda MT250 looks perfect. Well, shop around for factory cables. This one has the threaded rod on one end of the cable (fits the brake arm and bolt) and a clevis on the other end to attach to the brake pedal.

rearbrakecable.jpg

Cool thanks for the link! I was actually in the middle of designing one with CAD and having it machined. Nice that it's adjustable, too. I just contacted them and the size is correct for my cable (8.4mm). I'll wait and see how my own design comes out (non-adjustable). I'm not sure how much adjustment I'll need since it is for the rear brake pedal. I can adjust the position of the pedal another way.

I have done this conversion on a BMW and the one thing I learned was the cable holder at the lever should be as close to swingarm pivot as possible to limit the lever from moving as swingarm goes up and down.

Here is the rear bracket.
5538912971_3998b0e09e_b.jpg

5542023537_b1470a46bf_b.jpg

Boxer Metal said:
I have done this conversion on a BMW and the one thing I learned was the cable holder at the lever should be as close to swingarm pivot as possible to limit the lever from moving as swingarm goes up and down.

Where did you get your cable I am going the other direction so I need a 4 foot long cable but I haven't been able to find one and nobody locally has the ends to make my own I am leaning towards a clutch cable from a cb750 as I have one laying around
Renegade said:
Does anyone know if there is a kit or something to convert my cb750 from the rod to a cable like this or would i have to fab it all up myself
KIF_3264.jpg

Rearbrake.jpg

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk

Boxer Metal said:

actually that is incorrect, the reason many put a cable with a housing on is because it is not possible to get a rod or naked straight pull cable to be located at the pedal end over the pivot .and this is when you get bump brake action
with a sheathed cable it doesnt matter a darn biit where it is,it could be mounted to the handlebars.that is the whole idea of the conversion, is the pedal and actuation point can be anywhere without being effected by suspension movement
if you are getting movement at the pedal it should only be very slight and is caused only by the housing flexing
and it could be caused also by trying to use a cable and housing so short, so direct that it gets a pull and it looks like you have run it very straight , it really needs to have a gently curving arc so that the suspension movement does not bind or pull the cable housing
that is why most of the examples you see on vintage race bikes do have the cable in a nice gentle arc

Boxer Metal said:

I found a front brake cable from a cm250 with a front drum brake. But how did you make your mounts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mantree said:
I found a front brake cable from a cm250 with a front drum brake. But how did you make your mounts

he did his wrong so you might not want to copy it exactly

xb33bsa said:
he did his wrong so you might not want to copy it exactly
I'm not actually doing rear sets I am building forward controlls
07109dc2235c5911cee59449f06cf166.jpg

ca0dc83131a0b2ac9df03a4e260b7152.jpg

And I am using a cm250 front brake cable my hole is to use a cable that I can get t any honda dealership so if I need a replacment I can just go pick it up

Mantree said:
I'm not actually doing rear sets I am building forward controlls
07109dc2235c5911cee59449f06cf166.jpg

ca0dc83131a0b2ac9df03a4e260b7152.jpg

And I am using a cm250 front brake cable my hole is to use a cable that I can get t any honda dealership so if I need a replacment I can just go pick it up

excellent so you need a method to hold the housiong secure at both ends
it will need to be a stout piece so it doesn't flex then of course a sawed slot to insert the cable
something ready made i can't think of right now but some 1/2'' square steel bar or keystock would do nicely
get a piecs 6'' long so its easy to hang onto
drill a hole through each end drilled just tiny bigger than it needs then the intersecting slot a hacksaw with 2 parelel cuts
decide how much satandoff you want cut to length weld to a suitably drilled bracketor flatbar to fit locations at either end of the bike
route the cable so it never has a any sharp turns and only use guides in between the run ,no solid mounts

deviant said:
Seems like that cable is going to wear out quickly.

his execution of the fabbed stuff is excellent that heavy cable has a plastic liner and that exit angle may not cause any wear
unfortunately he didn't grasp the principle of the whole thing

Back
Top Bottom