CX500 minor bob job - whooooot issues solved goes like a bat out of hell, for an old bike at least

Re: Cx500 minor bob job - Now it runs

Yep - good news Mike. You'll be riding this scoot come spring time .......

Hope so. I am now cleaning up the shop area in preperation to build a bike table on wheels to make stripping the old girl down easier. Should get the stuff for that this weekend and get it built. Then I have all winter to get to making this thing presentable.

Well not much to report except I got it to run properly and idle at 1200 rpm. Not much bike time but glad to fix it so it should be gtg this spring. Next weekend I hope to get some more time in.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Atta boy Mike. Any progress is good progress.

Im in on this one for sure !!!!!!

I'm definitely in on this one. I have a strange kind of love for the cx500.

Ok. No time yet to do f all on holidays but today I will get something done I hope. Pics of xmass items. More were ordered while dad in law was here.
Frame paint. Carb manifold o rings. Rad hoses and nes oury grips. Oh and i got this from Santa!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356980467591.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356980467591.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 482
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356980552180.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356980552180.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 488

Nice good compresser always helps !

Hey Pal, great to see you at it again! I don't get enough time to cruise thru DTT like I'd like to anymore. I've messed with a couple CXs, one REALLY SCARY FAST 650 turbo that almost made it to the salt before the funds dried up.

For cheap thrills, and keeping the tuning to a minimum there are a couple quick tricks and one really important one.

First if it hasn't been done....do the triple bypass. It'll save headaches later on.

Now the fun, for quick and cheap pipes that sound good but don't gooch your tuning just dump the mufflers for some sections of straight pipe. It'll have a nice growl but the big giant collector box does most of the baffling anyway. Hell, get fancy and sling some Harley chrome fishtails on it. You may have to tweek the needles a shim but big deal. Knock 25 thou off the heads for a nice boost in compression that will make a bit more torque for you. You should be able to adjust the valves out enough with ease. Swap on a cheap junkyard electric fan, the stock one is bolted to the damn cam and drags the motor a bit. Lastly, better coils, wires and plugs and it should feel really nice for tooling around. Not beastly but willing and torquey..

Thanks Lee, I have been meaning to check what the triple bypass is. this is an 82 and it has some upgrades over the 78-81 units. I knew about the pipes, will look into the coils and wires, new plugs are a given, I am about to pull the rad etc. so I will check the fan situation, something tells me it is already electric on this bike?? Will know soon, if I was closer I would send the heads to you to deck for me but shipping from right to left coast and across the border would cost way to much. this bike had air shocks stock on the rear but they got switched at some point. It is going to be a learning bike for the dad in law so performance stuff will happen after a season of riding. Saw all your progress at the gym, giving me some inspiration to get my fat ass in shape again.

Cheers

Maritime

Ahh, looked up triple bypass. When I get the enginde out, I will look and see if this is needed or if it has been done before. hope it has been done already to save some $$.

Bonus if it's electric already. I *think* they all come stock with the mechanical fan but I dunno for certain. If you get the heads torn down a decent local shop should be able to skim them for you for a couple hundred at most but probably less. If you fill the combustion chambers partially with melted paraffin wax you won't need to pull the valves.

Good plan to keep it simple if it's a learner, should be a good ride for that.

As for the fitness bit, you should start at home first. Lots of people jump into the gym, get sore or intimidated and give up. Set yourself an easy 'commitment goal' to reach, say....10 pounds. If you just cut *some* of the bad food out, sub in more vegetables (ugh....I'm a carnivore so I know how that can be) and keep your portions sensible. Make sure you're getting at least 64oz of H2O a day, but 96oz would be better esp since you're a big kat too. If you're not so active just add a walk after dinner every night (own it, weather doesn't count). Start short, 1-1.5mi the first week, 1.5-2mi the next and so on until you're doing 5 or so. At a brisk clip that's a pretty good calorie burner that will keep your heart rate in the 'fat burning' zone. Other things you should do at home:
>crunches are easy with your feet up on a chair, start with 2 sets of 20 and bump up weekly. I started off like that and now do 300 a day.
>seated torso twists for your obliques. Start with a heavy book held out at arms length and twist full left to right for one count. start with 20 a day and bump up by the week.
>Superman's work great to firm up the erectors that run up the middle of your back. Do 3) 30 second stints
If you're feeling froggy throw some more stuff in, here's a great reference for basic body-weight workouts at home: http://bodyweightworkout.wordpress.com/

Start with your core work and the walking. You cna be done in short order, stick with it every day for 30 day and not only will the difference be VISIBLE but you'll feel way better and may find that you're ready to jump in full-on.

Plus.....better core fitness makes you better in the sack. Wifey will be pleased with you.

Thanks for the info Lee. I am going to start reasonable. I used to hit the gym hard for years but life and work got in the way. I like what you lined up and I will be starting it soon, I am working it into my routine and after the first few weeks of total hell it will get better.

Now on to the bike, I am getting some time on her tonight. The fan is factory so an electric will be added to the parts list. Do I need a temp sensor too like on the GL? or should it just be set to run with the ignition. Will have to research a bit. Plan tonight is to get it down to bare frame or at least close, clean up some more then look at the wiring to change and remove crap etc.

Hey Maritime,

here is a link for the "how to" on the electric fan conversion

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Electric+Fan

Cheers

thank you sir, I now have less googling to do, more wrench time.

Cheers.

anything to save some time.......I know what its like

Well I didn't take any pics but I did get some stuff done. Got the carbs off again, changed out the manifold o-rings for the new set. Put them aside, got the front end tripped of all the gauges, wires and levers, bars, controls and removed some of the harness. Will get the rest done soon and go over all the connectors and repair, clean and replace what is needed. Tested the horn, it is dead, need a new one as it is the law here. Will get some pics on the weekend after there is more work done.

So stopped taking crap off to play with the seat a bit. Narrow old pan and recover as a one up. Might make a fiberglass cowel on the back to incorporate.the tail light. We'll see when that arrives. Pics

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358379764168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358379764168.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 484
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358379783677.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358379783677.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 491
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358379800171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358379800171.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 478
Back