Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

DohcBikes said:
I added a pic above. Pretty much click any thread in deviants sig to find more:

Got it. I like seeing other people methods. It looks like he uses a planishing hammer, and maybe some hammer on metal techniques. (I'm sure he'll fill us in.) I use an e-wheel and stump shrinking methods. It's cool seeing how the craft is approached by different people.

Thanks fellas. I learned metal as sculptor years ago. Plus years of rust repair on my old man's rods. I'm just now applying this to bikes. All I have is a small hand built e wheel, two logs, a football and a bunch of different shaped hammers. With side covers and similar forms, I cut out the shape in HDO plywood like so:

e84596c7b746a5521c8399f7dd5aad70.jpg

When I built the XL, I had no e wheel so it was hours and hours of planishing to get it smooth. Admittedly, I've never used a buck on a motorcycle. I've only used them in sculpture. I've never made a tank from scratch, so I'm learning something here.

I snuck out this morning to do a little more work on the scrambler tank. This side is almost read to tack together.

ncologerojr said:
Sorry if you already know all this, maybe someone else will find it helpful.
I appreciate the advice. I'll always be learning as far as I'm concerned. I have been using thicker gauge sheet to compensate, but since that pic I was taught the same as you mention. The front fender I just made for my CB750 is first piece I did by both shrinking and stretching. It's also always good to have the lessons reinforced.

deviant said:
I appreciate the advice. I'll always be learning as far as I'm concerned. I have been using thicker gauge sheet to compensate, but since that pic I was taught the same as you mention. The front fender I just made for my CB750 is first piece I did by both shrinking and stretching. It's also always good to have the lessons reinforced.

I agree 100%. Never stop learning.

Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

Sorry I've been slow with posting updates. I decided to change up the tank design a little. Here is the new tank all tacked up. I should have it welded up tomorrow.

I got the tank welded up yesterday. The first picture is of the welds before and grinding. With good fit up you can make clean flat welds and save yourself a lot of work down the road.

Some updated pics of the rear fender. I am still deciding if I am going to paint, polish or a combination of both.

I dig the shape and that it extends further then what most rears do and not drop off at the axle or before...very nice metal work all around.

it does look awesome however the cb is a tiny bike and a trackrer needs some room on the seat to slide back on whilst trying to gain traction exiting a turn.srslry its too short needs 3"
back and the front is in seroius need of lifting
so ya nice work but the proportions are off ,its such a tiny bike,so unlress you are a tiny spinner girl or a 12 yearl, it restricts the rider with a the edge of the seat back hump that far forward
blending it with the seat base would work so you can get a proper rocker in the seat profile
notice this bike here and also it aint drooped down in the front like its getting ready to jump up and lick you square on the yapper

fs_7316137-1-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom