1976 XL175 Ducati 750 engine swap.

NurseJosh

Hello,

A bit of background on this build. I had a leftover 1976 XL175 frame from a part out, it was gathering dust in my shop for several months. Recently I found a great eBay deal on a 2000 Ducati Monster 750 motor with 1k miles on it. I decided to mount the motor in the XL175 Frame. The frame is 90% hand built in my shop, with the steering neck being the only bit of original XL. I did this because it met the age/displacement requirements to get a title by first registering it in Vermont.

The project is about 3 quarters done:

2002 GSXR 1000 Forks, Triple clamps, front wheel/ brakes
I mounted CB350 Risers to the upper triple, and used some emgo "drag" bars
I have a GSXR Brake master cylinder that is not installed, I need new banjo bolt.
Clutch master cylinder is from a Kawasaki ZX7R
Front plate is 6 layers of carbon fiber with polyester resin, needs a lot of sanding work. I may re-do with epoxy resin.
Frame is a a basic trellis made from 1" DOM cold rolled steel
2000 Ducati monster motor, all stock
I did not want to use downdraft carbs because that would really limit my tank choices because of the space they would occupy. So I altered the stock intakes to allow for to VM38 Round Slides, the intake lengths are about the same length from carb to valve, but as you can see in the images the Horizontal cylinder intake has a 45 degree bend in it. I have not run into any significant tuning trouble as of yet.
Ignition is stock Ducati
Seat is hand made, my first time on a sewing machine, its not perfect but I'm proud of it lol.
Swingarm and rear wheel and linkage are all from a 2007 Ducati Monster 695
Rear Shock is from a 2005 Ducati S4R

Measurements:

Wheelbase: 55 inches
Rake: 24 degrees
Offset: 32 mm
Trail: 3.91 inches

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 448
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 402
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 968
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 382
Speedometer is digital, cheap unit all over ebay, works well so far and does the job. Also it looks good! 2nd picture is the hall effect sensor/bracket for the speedometer.

Headlight is a LED Flood/spot and I mounted it to the frame in between the fork legs. It seams to be fine in the shop. I have serious doubts about this lighting setup on the street at night.

Here are pictures of 3 tanks I have laying around mocked up on the bike. Any opinions?

CB360

GS300

RD60

Nice work so far. Out of curiousity, did you measure the rake and trail of your new setup? Maybe is the photos, but it looks like the front end is almost vertical.

jag767 said:
Out of curiousity, did you measure the rake and trail of your new setup

Rake & trail in first post!

Whatever the numbers, this beast is going to give an interesting ride,

Crazy

Nice work! The photos do make the rake look almost vertical, however I did read it was 24 degrees. The Ducati engine is something I have often thought would be an idea power plant to build around.

As for the fuel tank, definitely not the GS tank. The CB tanks seems to be the natural fit, however the RD tank gives a 'harder' look whereas the CB is a 'softer' look, in my opinion. Difficult to decide, however to stand out from the crowd I'd probably go for the RD tank. Just my view.

Extreme engineering 8)

I'd say either tank #1 or #3 as the rear suits the front of the seat, which looks good, so well done.

Defo the RD tank, as said above it looks mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oohhh. It's fantastic what you can do over there. In Europe?...many limitations on bikes and cars.
My Yam FJ1200, originally registered in Japan 1985. I bought in 1996 in UK. Took it to Spain and they did not even look at the bike, said "last reg was 1996...so that's the first reg, as far as Spain's concerned...thus no zero tax for classics".
Full tax.
Ho hum.
Yours looks wonderful...good luck. I got away with a fat rear wheel from an XJR1300, as mine was not on the data books.
Thanks for sharing.
T

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom