GR650 reg/rec issues

jacksonbondi

Hey folks,

I've been enjoying a solid summer of riding on my 83 GR650 with minimal issues :)

But i did have a small electrical fire the other day, and it leaves me with this issue, in the wiring diagram the reg/rec doesn't go straight down to the stator, but it does on my bike?
The 3 yellow wires converge and do just that (pictured) , how do i fix this little blow out?

Im very lost when it comes to wiring.

Any help is appreciated, cheers legends.

Attachments

• IMG_7688.JPG
    IMG_7688.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 203
The 3 yellow wires come from the stator and it doesn't matter what order they are connected in (assuming there are 3 wires in the loom on the right). They can't be all connected together though.

jacksonbondi said:
sorry hillsy, i dont follow? the three yellow wires come from the reg/rec then go into the black mumba down into the stator, can i just splice them together, solder, and then heat shrink?

Yes - my point was assuming there are 3 wires inside the mumba....and that the individual yellow wires need to be individually attached.....but it doesn't matter which wires they go to in the mumba.

Clear as mud?

I'd say the wires have shorted together causing the short / fire - you will probably want to check your stator voltage output as it might be fried. Connect the wires back together and see if the battery is charging first though.

im not sure what caused it?
but we have had a lot of rain lately and it might have picked up some moisture, i pulled up at some lights and saw smoke, i pulled them apart so i could nurse the old girl home, and its rained every day since then :( we hada great summer, as soon as autumn rolled around its been wetter than a nuns....

before i jump into it, am i good to strip the wires back and splice, then solder them together and finish with a heat shrink? or do i have to put in a connector for the 3 yellow into 1?

jacksonbondi said:
back and splice, then solder them together and finish with a heat shrink? or do i have to put in a connector for the 3 yellow into 1?

Tough call. When you cook wires, it's usually best to replace as much as possible. What's possible might not be enough, though. Looking at your pic, it looks like it's the engine-side of the circuit that cooked? If so, you might need a new stator.

Assuming you just want to hook things up and hope for the best, you'll want to strip back the wires until you find good copper that doesn't look fried. Then you connect each of the three yellow wires on the engine side to the three yellow wires from the regulator/rectifier. One wire to one wire; no three into one. It doesn't matter which yellow wire from the engine goes to which yellow wire in the regulator/rectifier, but you should have three separate circuits and no splicing between them. See the attached pic for the basic hookup.

Attachments

• alternator.png
    alternator.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 475
I'm not sure about the GR's but I know from experience the GS charging systems are junk. You can replace the stator and RR for about $50, its a worthy upgrade IMO.

advCo said:
You can replace the stator and RR for about $50, its a worthy upgrade IMO.

You're about $150 short 8)

The GS charging systems problems are a bit complex, the stock RR was flawed but you can pretty much bet if a GS is running and charging today this has been replaced.

The biggest problem is the system uses a shunt style RR which grounds out excess charge, throws heat back to the stator.....which eventually burns it out.

Newer style series regulators don't do this and seem to be the "fix". Proper Shindingen SH775 and Polaris RR's are series - beware of cheap imitations though....

There's a TON of info over at GS Resources about the charging system and it's issues (search for "stator papers")

Back
Top Bottom