1972 CD175 Battery 6 Volt Battery Ampere-hour Capacity

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
I've deleted the electric starter on the Baby Tracker, but kept it 6 Volts (it's a CD175) - seems to have bright enough lights, so why not?
I would like to use a 6 Volt, 5 ampere-hour sealed battery for it - a lot smaller physically but half the ampere-hour rating of the original.
I changed back to a sealed battery with a 10 ampere-hour capacity (same as the original) because I was told the charging system on the old CD's is pretty primitive and needs a big battery to act as an electrical "shock absorber" - voltage spikes I gather, maybe when running at sustained high speeds?
Space is pretty limited and if there is no good reason to use the big battery and build a new battery box, I'd like to go back to the small one.
The only other question is, would the small battery have enough power to start the bike with the high output 6 Volt coil I have on it?
Thanks,
Pat

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=191117538195&category=48619&pm=1&ds=0&t=1491344568138

What about something "powerful" and small?

I have two of these you can have. They work great. Dimensions are online. Looks just like the one posted above!

Attachments

• IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    626.6 KB · Views: 191
Ya, those 2 bats look to be the same dims as mine and a lot smaller than the stocker; my 5 amp bat is about half the size (and weight).
I've leaned out the lines of the Tracker - a friend of mine says it looks like a trials bike with a big motor stuffed in it and someone else said it's as skinny as a starving boa constrictor - I think it might be 5 inches wide at the back of the gas tank and the side panels start there and flare out. I can make it fit okay with a bit of work but the question is, do I have to?
Thanks for the help,
Pat

I deleted the electric start on the 360 and went from a 12aH battery to a 5aH SLA battery and have had no problems whatsoever. Bike usually starts on the 1st or 2nd kick.

I would recommend wiring an OFF switch into the headlight, so you can turn it off while starting to give all the battery's juice to the coils.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Okay, some road mileage experience with a small battery - just what I needed.
I'll charge up the little battery today and see how the bike starts with it.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback.
Keep the rubber side down,
Pat

Back
Top Bottom