Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

DreadRock

Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
DTT BOTM WINNER
111.jpg

ok so i pulled this out of a field about 9 month ago. its a 1975 XS500b . got it for free with title,keys,and vines lol but been working on it and doing alot of reading and some talking on DTT and this is my build thread .....

Re: Out in a field Build ....OK

After pulling out of a field with brakes froze shut i got it home .
119.jpg

155.jpg

130.jpg

Found a few things along the way ....

So after taking it all down and to the frame i sent the frame and swingarm to get blasted. I picked up a nice front end and shocks from a DTT member ( thanks jimmer) .....
026.jpg

then i had some help from a friend with these inserts where the rear pegs were. going to be my pipe hangers ....
048.jpg

very nice...from the looks of the wood in that top pic i would say you dragged it through a vineyard....that has to be a grapevine branch yeah ?

Thanks !

nothing thing i found was under the front light .....
165.jpg

but after i cleaned it up i took a jumper box and hooked it up. turned the key and the dash came alive which i was pumped about. i then pulled the motor to see what i need to do with it. ( i know im jumping around alil on the build sorry ) ok back to the frame i wanted to have a roller by end of summer but moved lil faster then i thought.so i was going to go with wire wheels but wow pricey lol so i did some asking and reading then picked up a set of 77 RD400 wheels. well the front went right on no problems but the back took some time. first need a 77 rd400 swing arm,axel,adjusters,spacers,brake stay and a few nuts that was a hunt to find.the rd swing arm mounted right up and it all worked out great....
DSC_0185.jpg

ok so after cleaning everthing and making list after list of thing i wanted to do and stuff i needed to do i hit the frame with some primer and paint just to keep the flash rusting under control. had a few things to do the frame still . im having a LOT of faith on the motor only because it had good comp and the oil was clean ( like new) and the inside of the motor was spotless.but if somethings wrong when i go to start it then ill pull it and rebuild it. so after picking up parts like clip-ons,tank,seat ( still waiting on that ) bolts and nuts. i started to really clean everything and repaint all the small stuff.and thins is where im at .........
XSmotor-2.jpg

and the motor.....
motor.jpg

Wow, great job so far, never guess the POS you pulled from the field is turning into that. Love the Tuning fork cutouts fro the pipe mounts.

thanks guys ! so as i did the tuning forks i also did the frame.....
frame.jpg

That's awesome! What did you use, water jet?

one of my customers has a table at his house. its not a water jet but im not sure on the name but it cuts with a torch but very clean and very sharp . it works great to draw it up on a program and hit cut . he also helped with the tuning forks . i can find out just what it is and a name if you need .

Re: Out in a field Build ....

Put some plates in the frame to give me support and mounting for elec stuff and help with seat mounting.....
DSC_0189.jpg

Sxecafe its called a dynatorch is what he used on the tuning forks and frame !

Well got my tail section today from Airtek ! the fit is perfect just need to do some very small trimming near the tank.....
seat2.jpg
seat3.jpg

Got wheels mounted today......
wheels.jpg
wheel2.jpg

man, those yamaha logos on the existing passenger peg place are rad! Keep er up!

Back
Top Bottom