Important change to the Site Supporter program

100% - sorry if I'm appearing to be at all frustrated or less than enthusiastic about this. I just want as much openness as possible in this regard. As you say Kiley, I'm confident there will be obvious situations we can all agree on when help is needed.

Ya, in know way should this be onerous to you Tim. :) If we can help out a DTT Family member, that would be my preference, that's all.

More swag isn't a bad idea! ;D

Swag is not a bad idea but it can generally be self-funding.

A charitable organisation needn't be one of the megabucks, maxi-overheads type. Something like Medecins Sans Frontieres might fit the bill, and I am certain that it wouldn't be hard to find many others.

Crazy

i have an idea...

why not create a "DDT grant". members could nominate a project and we could vote on who or to what that grant is awarded.

the nominations/voting along the same lines as the bike of the month.

could be an education program, a special project, a national/international issue.. bike related of course.

many charities have plenty of dough.. but maybe if we chose the yearly project from among ourselves?

you cant please all the people all the time.... but we all ride.

I dunno Tim, think you've muddied the waters with this. I say just go with your original plan and get that mink coat for your wife. Now that will pay off in dividends!

stroker crazy said:
Swag is not a bad idea but it can generally be self-funding.

A charitable organisation needn't be one of the megabucks, maxi-overheads type. Something like Medecins Sans Frontieres might fit the bill, and I am certain that it wouldn't be hard to find many others.

Crazy

I have worked with charities before (with not for). by law charities are only obliged to give 35% of their funds to the actual cause.. that's a whopping 65% in admin, wages and promotion.

not good.

i know a can of worms has been opened and i'm throwing the worms around the room a bit here. but of course we can be serving OUR community here not that of a multifunded official charity with tax breaks and over paid fund raisers etc etc.

hmm?

By day trade I work in a large printing facility. Some of our biggest clients are charity organizations that do a lot of printing/mailing. I know they do a lot of good but I also see where a lot of that money goes for day to day, admin type costs as stated here. One client does about 20 million pieces of mail a year. If you think about the cost to produce that for them the money spent there is insane! Spend millions to ask for more money but hey, I guess it obviously works.

That said, I think DTT has already shown the best way to handle funds by A. keeping the lights on and B. simply helping members out when they need a hand. I think the thing that separates DTT from so many places is that generally everyone here is honest and good. They only ask for help if they really need it and those people in turn give back when they can. I prefer the idea of directly helping a member we all know and having 100% of the funds contribute.

Kanticoy said:
Honestly, I think that most of us usually are agreeable on where the charity is spent. I have seen a lot of generosity out of this place over the years. I for one love to see how people react when there is a person in need. I am excited to see how this stuff transpires because I think that it will make a huge display of what we are about as a community. I love this bar.
+1
Tim, I can understand and appreciate you trying to keep it open and transparent. But imho, you've been doing the job already (more or less behind the scenes), and I for one, trust your judgement on where/who the funds would/will go. Opening it up to a full forum discussion is just going to slow things down, hurt feelings, and generally muddy up everything. I think you should consider tapping a few key members and making a "committee" of sorts. The committee can bounce ideas/subjects for disbursement off each other (and the intended recipient) before addressing the forum directly.

Redbird said:
+1
Tim, I can understand and appreciate you trying to keep it open and transparent. But imho, you've been doing the job already (more or less behind the scenes), and I for one, trust your judgement on where/who the funds would/will go. Opening it up to a full forum discussion is just going to slow things down, hurt feelings, and generally muddy up everything. I think you should consider tapping a few key members and making a "committee" of sorts. The committee can bounce ideas/subjects for disbursement off each other (and the intended recipient) before addressing the forum directly.

seconded... i nominate beach, von yizer and tim.

Tim,

I'm assuming the site support donations are on a 12 month Anniversary ? In which case mine is due this month . can you send me / post up the paypal account for payment - ta.

beachcomber, I believe you can pay via your profile page. There is an Order button under the 'Actions --> Paid Subscriptions' part of your profile.

beachcomber said:
Tim,

I'm assuming the site support donations are on a 12 month Anniversary ? In which case mine is due this month . can you send me / post up the paypal account for payment - ta.

In theory they auto-renew if you set up the 'subscription' in your PayPal when doing the original. Let me know if it works.

Tim said:
In theory they auto-renew if you set up the 'subscription' in your PayPal when doing the original. Let me know if it works.

Ahhhhh - problem resolved - it IS on automatic renewal [ 28th. Dec ] - thanx all.

I've just done my part. Cheers to all :D

I also favor the simple method of assembling a small committee to help you make the call.

Back
Top Bottom