85 FJ1100 .. Time To Update The Beast !

DreadRock

Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
DTT BOTM WINNER
Picked up a 1985 Yamaha FJ1100 about 2 years ago and using it as my touring bike . The back story goes like this : Wanted a bigger bike to have fun on and do some touring . After looking for a bit found the FJs and let me say there some what hard to find in good shape. Picked it up in PA off a guy that said it runs but after few miles dies then once cool fires back up . Well after looking it over I said ill take it . Spent about 2 months or so messing with new coils as it seemed that was the problem . Well it wasn't it was the box ( Dyna 200 ) because the guy that mounted it put it in front of the battery box were all the heat of the motor hit it :-\ After talking to Dyna and sending it to them come to find it was junk and they sent me a new one at there cost !!! Problem fixed and been messing and riding the bike with joy !!
When I got the bike home and pulled the side covers off come to find LOL a fully adjustable Ohlins on the back ! So don't need to mess with that LOL Problem is the front forks on FJs suck and needs some love to keep up with the Ohlins .
So over the last two years been slowly updateing the bike !
Ohlins rear shock
Dyna 2000 full ignition
Uni pods
Spin on filter
New clutch plates
SV1000 mirrors
Kerker pipes
Next up is a bigger update and that's rear wheel and front end . Stock the bike runs on 16s and not a lot of good sporty tires out there for it . So been looking and reading what other FJ owners are doing . So now its my turn to see what I come up with and start there. Picked up a 2004 R6 rear wheel as I like 5+ spoke wheels over 3 spoke wheels . And the R6 wheel fits the bill with lil work other then a spacer and new bearings . As for the front end still planning that out but thinking finding a FZ1 whole frontend and running that but nothing set in stone as of now !!!
Here are a few pics !!!!

Still love this FJ, one of these days i'll sell one of my RDs and get something to ride long distance...

Why is it you start messing with something and only plan on doing small things but we always end up going farther then we thought ? ;)

This is the point im at LOL After talking to my riding buddys about updating the wheels and front fork it got out of hand . Next thing you know not only am I replaceing the wheels and forks im going to run a R6 swingarm . Did some measuring and it was close enough to pull the stock swinger off and mount up the R6 swingarm LOL
Once the stock one was pulled come to find out the stock swinger and R swinger are the SAME LOL so this weekend going to slide the R one in and make sure everything lines up where it should and what all needs done to fit like new bearing !

Nice work, funny how that goes eh? Just going to clean her up and fix a few things....then bam, R6 suspension upgrades. ;D

Mounted up the R swing arm to check a few things like chain alignment ,shock linkage and the R swinger is off on both. After going over the linkage and trying this or that figured only way it would work is to make the shock tower taller. I just can't bring myself to cut anything on the bike. So back to the stock swinger ,don't like it but could still run the wheel. LOL after checking that it's 10 mm off :( and would take to much to get it right.
My buddy's son is a stunter and has a few Kaw 5 spoke wheel we are going to have a look at and see how the off set is then go from there .
Now do I like the 5 spokes over 3 yes but if I need to I still have a proven swap with a GSXR wheel . My goal is for the performance of the tires over looks was just hoping to get both !

Did some more reading and talking to guys like Big Rich and a few others looks like the R6 will work after all. When we measured first was kind of half ass but took it to my buddys house with the right tools and found if we take some off the spacer on the chain side we could get the chain alignment as close as .150 which will work . So now just need to make a few bushings and spacers and back wheel will be done . Then it will be time to for the front !!!!!!

http://www.fjmods.co.uk/MarcRittner2.htm

This will be the fork set-up I'm going for minus a few small changes !

That makes my eyes hurt.

Get to it Scott! Spring is right around the corner......

Big Rich said:
That makes my eyes hurt.

Get to it Scott! Spring is right around the corner......

Yea me to rich its a lot to take in but after reading it a few time its not that bad LOL And that's the plan is to have it back on the road by early spring befor the Thaw GTG !!!

Had some time and some help this week and can say minus chain,sprocket,brake arm the rear wheel is done :) What we did was this ..... No one had the bearing to fit the OD of R6 bearing and ID to fit FJ axle . What we did was take the R6 axle and flip it around and cut the threads off and cut down the R6 alum adjuster block to get are spaceing right . Then made pressed in collors to match ID of R6 axle with the collors center cut to match the FJ axle . And have to say it worked out perfect and went to geather with no problems ! So now need to work on brake stay arm which we think we have it figured out . Also need to figure out if I want to go 520 or 530 on the chain . The Fj front sprocket is 530 17t and R6 rear is 525 48T , stock FJ rear is 42T so need to go one way or the other. Once these small things are done its onto the front which ive found the parts just need to find the money LOL

NO true mods really nothing getting cut , everything that's been done or being done are really just bolt on . Only mods are to the parts like the wheels forks ! Just fixing the FJ short comings ! Are you a member over in the FJowners forum ? Good people over there and alot of good info !

Well had a small set back but got it fixed ! The wheel needed to move over to the sprocket side to center the wheel . So what we did was pull the tire and start milling on it :eek: Nice thing is had a almost step by step from a FJ. UK forum . We milled some off the carrier then some off the fingers in the wheel and some off the cush rubber and NO didn't just cut all crazy we did the numbers just to much to write down LOL So what happened is it sunk the carrier into the wheel which moved the wheel over to where it needed to be . We used High end clay to make sure we have the space where space was needed !! And have a key part heading my way next week and am pump that I found one for this !!!!!

Now that the rear wheel is all set its time for the front end to get updated ;D Been looking and looking for the right set of forks and found them at a smoking deal . Its already been done so im following in a nother FJs foot prints on this . What was need was a set of YZF750R forks with R1 calipers with a R1 wheel. Well just got the forks and other then replaceing seals and oil there like new. Next need to have the stems switched , the FJ stem needs to be in the YZF yoke so made a call to the have it done and guys stoping by today to see what I need done . Its not to big a deal real just something I don't have the tools to do . The FJs stem is about 3/4 longer then the YZFs but the YZFs stem is just a bit bigger . Now theres a few ways to fix this and going to leave it up to someone that knows more then I but it needs to be a 0.025 press fit when done ! Once that's done can put new bearings for the FJ stem and build a small block for the steering stops and its done ! Then onto the wheel and brakes .....

List of stuff that needs done :
new wheel bearings
new head bearings
new seals
new brake lines
new 530 chain and sprockets
find top yoke from a Thunderace 1000 or something alike
bars and grips
brake stay
tires
And then RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT !!!!!!!!

Forks all cleaned up !!

Back
Top Bottom