Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Thanks guys. I agree on the sprocket level. The motor is pretty tall, but the sprocket is situated high as well, allowing a lot of the motor to tuck down between the frame rails.
I also just bought a tank on eBay, a GT550 tank. I really like the lines, and I like the pop up cap. I am concerned that the Cb550 backbone will interfere with the tank, and I'd rather not do any tank fabrication, but I bought it anyway. This weekend I will probably be able to mock up the motor, tank, seat, and radiator.

Attachments

• s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 532
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 526
^^^^^hey tim, not sure about england (can't remember) but in australia, with 240v just about any plug takes anything, i can plug my welder into any household outlet

nice work going on the bike here too though thats not a nice thing making the missus ride a scooter, surely you like her more than that.....

I like this thing alot. So cool.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I appreciate the enthusiasm!
I was thinking about using a fuel pump as shown below, just an aftermarket outside-the-tank type. I would like to retain the stock KTM fuel level sensor, however, but that will need a tank modification. Maybe I'll add that capability later.

Attachments

• s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 537
Ambitious!!!

I like it!

What is your plan for suspension? Are you going to try to retrofit the ktm bits? I’ll be watching

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Cheers Dakine!
I am considering;
Front suspension
GSXR forks, with cognito hub and other bits
Shortened KTM forks, with KTM hub, wheel and brakes
Rear suspension
Fox twin shocks, with FZR 600 swingarm (modified to use the swingarm bushing in the engine case)

The KTM swingarm is too long, even if I move the motor forward as far as I can. I will still give it a try this weekend and see how it looks. Even if it does fit and doesn't look to bad, I would have to sub out the aluminium welding to get the shock mounts on, whereas the FZR swingarm is steel. Something to consider.
The KTM forks need to be shortened by 100mm if I have any chance of using them. I have not investigated yet if this is possible, but soon I will disassemble one and see what needs modification.

100mm is about 4” I don’t know the duke suspension travel is but I feel like 100 mm is doable.

If it were mine I’d probably keep as much of the ktm stuff as possible, just for the cool factor... but also keep with the twin shock theme out back so fzr swingarm sounds like the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Here is the start of mock up. The tank ALMOST fits, but the tunnel will need to be modified to clear the frame spine. That will allow it to sit a little lower and line up with the seat.
I also put the KTM triple trees on there just to see how it might look. The KTM steering stem is much longer than the CB neck, but that might present an opportunity. What if I were to lathe up some bearing cups that could be fitted to the CB frame? That way the length could be matched, and the KTM bearings could be used, with no need to make a new steering stem at all. Provided I can shorten the forks by 100mm, all KTM components could be used for the front end. This will be seriously considered. A GSXR front end would really look nice, but the KTM front end would be much cheaper and need almost no modification.

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 455
  • IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 457
I did a similar mod. No reason not to, as long as the front end works with your frame geometry.

1d96bcd8597d10fa7240c78209633207.jpg

4413f6bac343d7d524493e0595b1785c.jpg

^^ Hi Irk,
That is very helpful, thank you very much! I will first measure the KTM clamp offset and determine if I can shorten the forks, and all being well I can make the cups on the milling machine at work.

I like it!

Just for curiosity sake though, why use the flexy old cb frame? Why not swap the swinger and modify the ktm frame for the look you're after?

Granted I'm not familiar with the frame layout, but if it were me I'd probably keep the ktm frame and lop off the subframe and rebuild as a twin shock if that's the look you're after

^^ Hi Sonic,
I can't say that the frame isn't a concern, but I won't be riding it at 100% anyway. Using the KTM frame would be too much 'making a modern bike look classic' and not enough 'stuffing a hooligan motor into a classic bike.'

I like your project and I get the ''classic bike with modern motor''. The closer the swing arm pivot is to the sprocket the better, from the mock up it looks like you will have to mod the frame a lot. Also is there enough space for the throttle body & air filter? Good luck I will be following with interest. I like the tank

Back
Top Bottom