Which one of these is an xs650 hub and which one do I need?

CBPayne

Been Around the Block
I have two hubs here that I bought off of eBay. I was under the impression that both were xs650 hubs and they still might be. The one I want use has the rotor mounts but I thought it might not work since its older than 76-78. I'm need the correct one for a 920 swap. The other doesn't seem to have away to mount a rotor. It also as an tag on it that says 72 x52. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
Also I could really use some help trying to figure out what parts I'm missing from this hub.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 210
The hub without the rotor mount is in fact as it is labelled - an early XS hub. The earlier design has a rotor that interfaces with those recesses etc. on the side of the hub. It's an odd design and not worth using.

The hub in your hand looks like a more typical XS hub which went unchanged I think for many years - likely the entire run of the XS650.

What is a 920 swap? Can't answer much more without knowing what you're doing. You have the internal spacer for the hub which goes between the bearings, but I don't know what those other bits are for. Clearly you don't have the spacers to center the hub between XS forks, but I assume you're not using XS forks?

Dude I appreciate you chiming in. I have a virago 700 that I'm doing a front end swap to an 82 virago 920. You know the famous virago that everyone copies. Now I was inspired to build my bike by that one, but I'm only copying the front end. Plus I have a second gen virago. On the famous white and red virago he put an xs650 hub on the 920 forks. Which I've heard is common practice for those who race xv920 bikes, I think they also cb750 is common too. What need to know is if there is anything missing that would prevent from rebuilding this hub after it gets powder coated.

I'd think your hub should be fine - but obviously there's going to be some machined spacers etc. between the hub and the forks on both sides that if you want to match the hub, need to be made first and powdered with the hub (assuming you want to hit the powder coaters once).

If you want machined aluminum spacers between your colored hubs and forks, then you're safe I think coating the hub. Just don't coat the bearing surfaces. You'll also need new bearings to match the Virago axle.

I was just trying to get these hubs powder coated so I can send them off to buchanans. What finish does anodize black have, flat, semi gloss, gloss? I'm getting them done in mirror black.

Generally, anodizing leaves a finish slightly more dull than the part started with. If you anodize a polished part, it will come back still polished, but slightly dulled. Color is severely impacted by the alloy. In general, parts machined from wrought solids like bar or plate anodize beautifully, but castings like your hub commonly are awful. If you know the alloy, your anodizer should be able to reliably predict the results. Most anodizers will complain about the steel inserts in your hub. Many colors (like black and red) fade miserably very quickly in sunlight as well.

The rims are being anodized but the hubs are being powder coated mirror black. So I don't know if that difference will stand out.

They will not match, but the rims should be beautiful - they are extrusions rolled into a ring and welded. Often (at least on old alloy rims) the welded joint will color up noticeably differently, but likely least obvious with black. You can scratch them, but the anodizing can not chip which is good on a rim!

Yeah, anodizing is not going to be a deep lustrous mirror finish like a black gloss powder coat, but, the two should look good together especially with the Buchanan stainless steel spokes it sounds like you're going to be using.

BTW - why are you having Buchanan build your wheels? Nothing wrong with that, but you should be able to find a local wheel builder and skip all the shipping back and forth. Order your Buchanan spokes and have the wheels built locally.

Or better yet, build them yourself! Buchanan's reliably supplies the correct spokes, so you can have confidence you will have the right parts. By far, most people report putting wheels together to be much easier than they expected. There are also plenty of u-tubes and posts in this forum that should smooth the way if you decide to have a go at it. And truing is also less scary than most people expect.

CBPayne said:
I have two hubs here that I bought off of eBay. I was under the impression that both were xs650 hubs and they still might be. The one I want use has the rotor mounts but I thought it might not work since its older than 76-78. I'm need the correct one for a 920 swap. The other doesn't seem to have away to mount a rotor. It also as an tag on it that says 72 x52. Thanks

you infer that one of those hubs (the one laced to the rim) has no rotor mounts.....well, strangely enough i have a disc that fits that hub, can't for the life of me work out how the hell it attaches but it has a space on the back of the rotor centre that matches the boss on the hub

so i have two questions of the knowledgable folk out there...

a) what the hell is it off

b) how the hell does it work

spotty said:
you infer that one of those hubs (the one laced to the rim) has no rotor mounts.....well, strangely enough i have a disc that fits that hub, can't for the life of me work out how the hell it attaches but it has a space on the back of the rotor centre that matches the boss on the hub

so i have two questions of the knowledgable folk out there...

that is the early first time disc 650 twin lashup , funky indeed

^^^^^^^^

so it just sort of presses onto the boss on the hub and uses the power of positive thinking to stay there....?

strange engineering indeed

spotty said:

so i have two questions of the knowledgable folk

Well, your in luck. I have a rim that's needs a home.

^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry mate, i guess we're both out of luck, i don't have an XS650, don't plan on getting one either, also, i'm in Australia........

Back
Top Bottom