Please REVEIW your Pamco ignition.

trek97

No Custom Title
DTT BOTM WINNER
Thinking about getting a Pamco unit for my 360. IF you got ANY Pamco unit on ANY bike, please leave your product review here.

How long have you been running it and how many miles? Are you happy?

My XS has a Pamco on it - wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. I started with a Boyer when I built the bike, but when I rephased the motor I went with a Pamco as the only supplier of the required ignition. But bottom line is Pete knows what he's doing and has been at it for years.

The only thing negative I have ever heard about PAMCO is that Pete can disappear now and then. There are always good reviews on his ignitions. One of the 360 guys got a PAMCO ignition for their 360. I remember reading it in the thread, but I can't remember who.

I have about 250 miles on mine (Pamco E-Advance). Would of had more, but broke my foot shortly after installing it, was off the bike most of last year....Had some other health issues too.

The install was as easy as putting points on, but finding a good mounting point was difficult. Not totally happy, and I think if I leave it where I have it (Bottom outside of battery box) I need a small drain, just in case liquid gets in. I will revisit that after I get more miles on the system.

The timing REQUIRES a strobe type timing light. The adjustment is a little fiddly (so are points) but the great part is you only have to do it once.

The unit works great as an ignition system. When warm, it seems to start the bike in a revolution, very quickly. The bike idles well and smooth. I am stock airbox and carburetor and aftermarket, but stock length exhaust. No lean conditions. The bike pulls hard and smooth to the top of the RPM....I've only done it a couple of times, but you need to be careful as it will cross the redline. No point float.

The driveability is excellent. No hiccups from ignition. It advances as it states, by around 3000 RPM ful advance. Strange, hHonda did it that way, but in normal riding, the engine is rarely below 3000 RPM except at stops and lights.

I am pleased as today (April 19th, 2015) I rolled the bike out of my garage after sitting untouched since October. I can tell you from experience that even well adjusted and clean points will often need cleaning after sitting for 7 months. Alweays a little cleaning and adjustment, and the accumulated wear from the previous year. I prepped the bike (oil - changed)checked tire pressure, looked for loose items. Then as I normally do, I kicked it over, ignition off, 3 or 4 times to circulate a little oil.....I then bump the e-start and get a little more oil around.... Then, fuel on, full choke, 2 kicks, ignition off....Then 1/2 choke, no throttle, ignition on (This procedure is for when the bike has been dormant for more than a week or 2). It either starts immediately, or coughs....She coughed once, second kick was running like I put it away in October.

After warming a minute, at low idle, for oil distribution, I gave a couple of revs....Pure sweet music. Sounded good, no hesitations, and even running. A short 1/2 mile ride confirmed The timing, and carbs were good..(Kudos to SeaFoam). Later I took it for a 10 mile ride.

Those who ride CB360's can tell you. When the carbs are synced and the timing on both cylinders is spot on, the engine comes alive. It was great that without cleaning or adjusting point, the timing was great. You can tell, as when riding steady and adding a little throttle, carb sync and timing makes a big difference. When I added a little throttle, the sound, vibration from firing, were as even as I ever heard them.

So after a Short season last year, and the Out of the Garage experience with the ignition this year, I am very pleased with the Pamco unit.

The install is in my blog in the projectds are, link below in my sig. The install is documented and if you want more info, let me know.

I like the unit, and it works. I think some improvements (Pete may have fixed some of them, I had mine before general release for testing and comments) were needed.

The 2x 3 wire sensor wiring is confusing , Actually only 4 wires are needed. I have soldering skills and some nice 4 conductor wiring to clean that up.
The plastic box the "computer" is in, is not really weather tight. I worry that liquid may get in and not get out....
The Sensor wires had no strain relief at the plastic box entry, I fixed that with some nylon ties (Black, not green, as high strength was not needed).

Pamco ignition, even with some minor flaws, is the least expensive, e-advance system you cvan get. It works (so far) and works well.

I'll update this as I go along, as with the limited time, I can't say how durable it is....But I am an optomist.

And Pamco Pete, while sometimes hard to reach, does stand behing his work and product. I hope I never go back to points. I grew up with point systems, and even on a car, they required frequent adjustments, frequent replacements. Points start wearing out the minute the engine starts turning over. When I was young, to keep my car "peaked", I used to adjust the points monthly, and they needed it. The car would run without the constant adjustment, but not as well as time went on....Think about how often you check the timing on a modern car (I never need to, but every time I checked - just to see - it was always spot on). Unless the electronics break, or you remove the points plate, your timing weill remain exactly as you set it.

I recommend the Pamco Ignition.

I'm researching this for my CB400F too (74') so interested in the feedback.

I thought you just installed the plate in lieu of the points. What's the other box people are referring to?

i ran one for thousands of miles on my sl350.the original units used the stock mech advancer it was a very poor lashup that would not go many miles.the rotor and legs that connected to the advancer weights were aluminum and just wore out
on mine i adapted the rotor to the advacer so that the stock interface at the weights was maintained(steel to steel) it took some relatively basic lathe work, to totally solve that issue.
it worked great,i mean ran very good for about 6000 miles then started to fail intermitently and finally left me stranded.
i sent it back to pete asking if they could repair it .he said yes and would do that.a few months later i reminded him with a friendly email he said he was onnit .its been a year since then so my experience is poor customer care. and i was not asking for even anything like warranty work i would have even been happy to buy another new unit if he could explain what happened when it failed,i ride alone in some very remote areas..

Does anyone run Dyna Ignitions? I know they may not be available for all of our bikes, but my family used to drag race the old Z1's and Kz's and always ran Dyna and had very good life out of them. Not trying to jack the thread...just a thought as I was considering a Dyna or Pamco for my 350 F..

I run Dyna S on my 750 and its working good so far, can't imagine Dyna not doing homework and failures should present quick. I too an sorry for thread jacking, Just wanted to share this: new bugger and see if anyone has run it at all?

http://www.charlies-place.com/shop/electronic-ignition-fits-74-77-cbcjcl360-twins/

i have dyna on all my goldwings they are bulletproof and rock solid

i also have it on a few of my inline 4 s

Looks to me like Charlies missing electronic advance and $40 more bucks.

Or did I over look it. I see you have to choose between the 312 or 369 advancer. Pretty vague about all that.

I think the better choice is pretty clear.

1fasgsxr said:
Does anyone run Dyna Ignitions? I know they may not be available for all of our bikes, but my family used to drag race the old Z1's and Kz's and always ran Dyna and had very good life out of them. Not trying to jack the thread...just a thought as I was considering a Dyna or Pamco for my 350 F..
Have about 60K miles over two years on my CB500 with a Dyna. never so much as a hiccup.

HA! I always thought I had you pegged as the 140 lb hipster type.

more like this guy.
11494-240415201223.jpeg

1fasgsxr said:

Yup - I ran a Dyna on my CB550. Worked like a charm from the get-go. Most electronic ignitions are good. I've run Dyna, Boyer and Pamco. My BMW has a Boyer and I've put thousands of miles on it without a single tweak (maybe I should check the timing this season ;)) and my XS started with Boyer and moved to Pamco for my rephase.

Back
Top Bottom