1982 KZ 440. does not run right.

Berkman

I got this bike a while ago and it has never run correctly.
The carbs are clean and the bike doesn't like to start in the cold. It will either start or just run the battery dead.

When it does start, it has to warm up for 10 minutes of running or else when I hit the throttle, it dies and I have to put the choke back on and start it again. I can't get it to rev without the choke until it's super hot!!

after that there is a good idle and good high end power, but nothing for low end, causing me to have to rev it to 5 k every time I take off from the start.
when I get into second I better be damned higher than 3k rpm, or it'll bog and kill.
I replaced the carb to engine boots and fixed the vacuum leaks, and now I have no vacuum leaks (I'm pretty sure). So I used a sealant that doesn't harden around the airbox and made sure the carbs were on tight because in the past I think they are and they are not.

So finally today I took off the airbox and observed how terrible the engine bog was with no air box at all. So... I plugged one of the airbox intakes with a rag completely and the other I covered 30% of with duct tape. The bike runs great now. I have low end all day, it starts great, and I have high end all the way up the RPM band.

SO whats up?? How can I fix this the real way??

When you part cover the air intakes that acts as a choke, I think you are looking at a fuel starvation problem. This can also be confirmed with the colour of the plugs which would be very pale. You may need to strip down carbs and check jets etc.

i would leave the rags in and do the air leak test again . . use only flammable brake cleaner with the long nozzle and spray gently around the carb boot and around the caps on top of the carb . . then remove the rags and do it again.

if there is no leak, i would remove the carbs and look in the front and i think you will see a small hole in the top of the bore . . if so, lift the slide up all the way then put your finger over the hole then let the slide go . . if it drops all the way closed, your vacuum diaphragm or carb top is likely leaking . . if it drops around 1/2 way down and stays there, it is not leaking.

if you have no sir leaks and not carb leaks then imo, it is most likely lean on the slow jet in which case i would make sure the jet and all circuits are clear . . if they are i would go up 3 sizes on it.

Back
Top Bottom