Trying to save stock filters

trek97

No Custom Title
DTT BOTM WINNER
Bad filter...naughty filter....you're a very dirty little filter.

11494-220415052454-9371636.jpeg

Cutting that material is a bitch. While attempting to save the screen backer.

11494-220415052454-938374.jpeg

Used heat gun to release the glue.

11494-220415052454-9402276.jpeg

After about 20 seconds or so...pulls off easy and clean.

11494-220415052454-9391970.jpeg

However, the glue holding the screen is also coming free. So Ill try to re-glue it or replace is w something else.

FYI- K&N filters are just 5 layers of medical gauze, filter oil and wire mesh. If'n you can figure out how to do the pleats yourself, you could always try to make them into K&N style. Or get the UNI's and load with them. Not sure where you're going with this, but thought I'd throw that out there.

I'll tell you what I did with mine on my 450, I took a propane torch to the back side of the housing where the filters were glued in and heated until the metal just started to change color. Glue went POP, fell right off. What didn't fall off got chiseled out with a screwdriver and hammer. There wasn't much the glue really didn't like heat at all. Coat of paint and uni foam and done.

20130303093956.jpg

20130303094017.jpg

20130303094100.jpg

One thing I will note the pleats add a sound deadening muffler type thing to the intake noise. Now, I have a considerable amount of throaty throttle noise that comes on at full throttle and at at around 7k. I'm Ok with it. ;D

After the last pic. I kept going w the heat gun and got the rest off. It does have a few areas to work on and it will be clean.

The screens came out undamaged, and the frame also came apert in 3 pieces. Lol

The goal is make it as easy as possible to continue being able to replace element as maintenance calls.

I want to keep a dry paper element simply cause I don't want to mess w oiling, cleaning and all that jazz.

You guys did real good w yours. Keep the helpful ideas coming. As I am jumping into this with no real plans, making it up as I go.

The oiled filters last significantly longer. Not sure about the Uni's, as I have little experience (the XL has them though). But, the K&N's can last for years between cleaning. Paper filters are old technology and need to be changed often.

Excellent progress. This is inspiring me to change mine sooner rather than later. Keep going, I'll be watching.

BTW if you find a paper filer that is the right height (width?) post the #.

Cheers

They look good.
Had a hell of a time with some a few years ago, maybe earlier models had different assembly?
When the paper was removed and the glue chiseled out, the metal 'box' fell apart andmake life quite difficult trying to hold the pieces together

I did a post on this last month.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65227.msg747314#msg747314

Cool, love the hi tech' rubber bands to hold pieces of filter housing together 8)

Yeah I didn't even glue the foam in, made it slightly oversized so it presses against all the sides. Hasn't fallen out in the last year or so. Super easy to clean that way, just pull the covers pull the foam out and wash and re-oil. Don't even have to pull the housings. Not like the bike is gonna see a lot of dirt so once a year in the spring cleaning does the trick.

There's no reason to spend $30 on NOS filters with 40 year old paper. I used the uni filter trick on my CB350. I didn't have a heat gun so I carefully pulled them apart, then reassembled the screens and the sides in a thick line of 5 minute epoxy, weighted down the top, and let it sit for a day. If you cut the filter foam just a tad bit wide, it will have a little tension when you put it in, keeping the foam in place. I guess if you were really concerned about it falling out you could put a couple rubber bands around them.

Dont forget to oil them lol.

Oops, didn't see Frogman above me had posted about cutting the foam a little wide. But yeah :)

Yep, lookin like the Frog-miester wins the prize. I didnt get around to doin much w mine, as I really dont need it at this time. Rainy day project. Im just gonna uni-foam them.

Thanks guys for joining and good help.

Back
Top Bottom