1977 Honda CB550K/Jap Bike Spares 600cc 61.5mm Big Bore Kit ADVICE, PLEASE HELP!

paulschell

Hey guys!

Just was wondering if anyone out there has bored to 61.5mm on a CB550 cylinder before. Forgive me if there are other posts re; this topic, I was only able to find one.

I bought the Jap Bike Spares 600cc 61.5mm Big Bore kit for my 77 CB550K, and am just about the get my cylinders bored/honed and I wanted to make sure 61.5 was within limits to bore to. I know other guys only bore to 60.0mm, but this is another 0.5mm, and I've read on a few posts that this is fine, just don't wanna get into the sleeve too much. I couldn't shell out the $ for the Dynoman, but now I"m thinking I should have!

If anyone out there has seen/heard/used this kit/bore, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Paul

I've done it. No problems ran great for 3 years on and off as my daily. It all depends on the quality of the pistons and how skilled your machinist is. Carb tuning was a bit of a puzzle afterward (Bike pulls more air than usual) was biggest problem. Looking back I maybe should've just bought a 650 or 750 junker and rebuilt it, would've cost almost the same ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice, thanks work9to5.

I ended up getting them bored out to 61.5, my machinist is really good! Did you end up running a 650 cam or did you upgrade any other of your components?

Also do you remember ~ what your carbs were jetted to after you bored out your cylinders? That part of my build will be coming up soon!

Thanks,

Paul

Just saw this Paul, I ran a 550 cam for a year until I found a nicely priced 650. 650 cam makes a world of difference. 115 mains 38 seconds, I think I was lean one on needle heights. I had an "open" carpy pipe with crapy pods.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom