Screws Screwed Up

VonYinzer said:
Also, buy yourself a cheap set of chisels-punches. You'll notice that most of the time axles have a small dimple machined into the end. Get a pointed tip punch, put in dimple, smack with hammer. No damaging anything (except for maybe your hand, depending on how many beers you've had ;) ). The 2x4 works well if it's just a little stuck, but being that soft it really deadens your blows. A short metal punch will deliver a much greater force.

And honestly, you'll find a million uses for a set like this as you move forward in your build.

From pretty much any hardware store?

thefish said:
From pretty much any hardware store?

Yeah. General tool buying rule of thumb...

Don't buy the cheapest offered. For the home mechanic, the most expensive is overkill as well. Find a nice mid grade set.

Von is very right on all that. I was going to say a punch in the dimple but a hard wood block will work too. This site has lots of good folks who give good advice. There's a few who don't but you learn fast who to listen too and who not to.

I used a drill press to drill out the stuborn ones and replaced then with stainless Allen head bolts.

Wysłane z tostera

vice grips real ones with the slightly curved jaws they have knurled lips go straight on, grab that screw head its to easy i guess
a good pair of dykes will grab the screw head as well

thefish said:
Back to that axle mishap - I was thinking of using dies to fix it. Thoughts anyone?

Sure. If you have the correct one it could fix it. Depends on the amount of damage.

I'd be SUPER careful with a die. Reason being that if the damage is severe it might be very hard or impossible to get it started precisely, and even if off a hair will ruin the remaining good threads. Hard to assess without looking at it, but that said I think I would start with a correct thread file or triangle file and very carefully restore the threads that are damaged. You should realize that when threads get deformed this way, usually even threads that are 2 or 3 (or more!) threads from the end that appear fine have been distorted (shrunk closer together) and will need some reshaping. A good way to inspect them is with a thread pitch gauge, a good light and some magnification. Those tools will give you a very good idea of what you need to do when filing the threads. Once I got a nut to thread on properly and see it not deforming the good threads, I'd likely chase it with a die just to clean up the filed threads. Remember that the physical size of the nut is a fair bit looser on the axle threads than a die, so it is a lot safer to use as a guide for restoring the threads. If it seems to take too much pressure threading the nut on to the axle, stop and re-assess your file repair. Patience and working carefully are your friends here - otherwise you may find yourself searching for a new axle.

jpmobius said:
I'd be SUPER careful with a die. Reason being that if the damage is severe it might be very hard or impossible to get it started precisely, and even if off a hair will ruin the remaining good threads. Hard to assess without looking at it, but that said I think I would start with a correct thread file or triangle file and very carefully restore the threads that are damaged. You should realize that when threads get deformed this way, usually even threads that are 2 or 3 (or more!) threads from the end that appear fine have been distorted (shrunk closer together) and will need some reshaping. A good way to inspect them is with a thread pitch gauge, a good light and some magnification. Those tools will give you a very good idea of what you need to do when filing the threads. Once I got a nut to thread on properly and see it not deforming the good threads, I'd likely chase it with a die just to clean up the filed threads. Remember that the physical size of the nut is a fair bit looser on the axle threads than a die, so it is a lot safer to use as a guide for restoring the threads. If it seems to take too much pressure threading the nut on to the axle, stop and re-assess your file repair. Patience and working carefully are your friends here - otherwise you may find yourself searching for a new axle.

Thanks man! I'll definitely use this info and be careful.

Back
Top Bottom