gs450 project from Aus

The tank height was annoying me too. It now follows the same lines as the frame, without stepping down the seat height too out of whack. Those carbs look great! You got some great things planned, I'll be watching with great interest. Thanks again for the compliments, it's come a fair way...and much further to go.

All hands on deck, help needed lol.

I have had a bit of fun drawing a wiring diagram, but as you can see it's not finished. I want to keep it as simple as possible but still have indicators for example. If anyone out there is electrically minded please feel free to edit I would appreciate the help. I want to start this project tomorrow and get a new loom happening.

Well all I can say is I've got nearly 15000km's with my Dynatek on there now and it's spot on... definitely fixed my lack of spark issue! The guys at Dynatek are extremely helpful and I had a very long email conversation back and forth working out how it would go. They even did some research and found my thread on the GSR pondering if it would work or not... excellent customer service there!

As for your wiring harness, have a good search on the GSR as there's a minimal diagram done over there somewhere... think it may be on BassCliff's site too...

Your diagram looks pretty good. If you go with the Dynatek, then you could lose the Ignitor. PeteGS nailed it. I think if I remember right he is the one that gave me the idea for the Dynatek.

I made the seat out of fiberglass. I don't recommend it. It was a ton of work and I am still not happy about it. There are tons of molded pre-fab ones available for not much more than what the materials will run you. I have ideas for the new one, but you will have to wait and see. It is going to be amazing! ;)

Thanks fellas, it seems I should really just bite the bullet and get the ignition. I'll try and save up for it. I have bought myself some time now as the bike is completely disassembled again! That's right, every piece has been taken off and now have a plain old frame. Reason being is that I'm going to modify the rearsets and electrics tray. Also made a proper mount for the tank now it's lifted.

I'll post some pics soon of the new rearset mounts. Basically some steel tubing bent into weird shapes, a good $5 project.

Keep your eyes out on eBay US for the Dynatek setup. A couple of guys on the GSR scored one from there dirt cheap. The prices are quite painful from the distributors here in Aus...

The only catch with doing that is you won't get the spacer, but it's easy enough to make one from brass or something non-magnetic.

That's true Pete, have seen them for $250 or so, plus the $50 odd for delivery. Not too bad really.

The bike is currently in a hundred, actually probably less, more like 30 pieces. Have welded the rearset mounts, but that tubing is so hard to weld with an arc welder! I keep blowing holes in the frame and the welds are pretty messy and awkward to clean up.

Will get it all sand blasted again, then hopefully powdercoated this time, wasn't too happy with the toughness of the other paint even though it was easy enough to apply. I really like the Gilera red colour so may go down that line. I will try and get those embarrassing photos up soon.

Hi all,
Ended up getting a welder with access to a MIG to do some welds and the rear mounts are a bit cleaner now.
I'm going to get the frame blasted soon and get a filler that can withstand powdercoating.

Will this go on after the blasting but before the zinc paint they use after they blast?

I enjoyed your project. I recently decided to cafe a 81 GS450L that I have. I am going to start with just a budget build and see where it goes.

I know you got another master cylinder working, but did you check the return hole? I rebuilt the MC and caliper only to discover the problem was a clogged return. If you still have carb issues let me know, I can try to help. I have pods on mine and been through a lot of combinations to get it running good.

Best of luck. look forward to your updates.

Been a while away but I'll try and be a bit more regular on here. I have decided to put the GS450 back together then sell it and have already bought a Honda Blackbird which goes well. Thanks for the comments and offers to help.

I seem to have forgotten alot about the 450 so I'm sure I'll be lurking around to help get it back together.

My gs 400/450 Became a new bike when i swapped the original coils for the dyna replacement.
Love to see these bike in progress! :)
Waiting on some small bits from all ballz racing to replace my frontend.
Inspirational thread,just a shame my tech english sucks and google translate sucks!!

Hi all,

So the build is back up and running. I made a complete new wiring harness, although the indicators arn't connect as yet.
First start up yesterday but the left carb overflowed - cleaned the bowls and should be good now.

For those that know - how far back do I turn the main jets in the carb from all the way in?
Pictures coming!

That's not your main jets. Main jets are fixed orifices inside at the bottom of the float bowl. Those screws are your idle mixture screws. Start with them at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. After your engine is fully warmed up, adjust each one 1/4 turn at a time for best idle. You should achieve best idle between 1 turn, and 3 turns out. If you don't get it within that range, then you need to change the pilot jet.

Thanks Alpha. I've made some adjustments but still the same result - the left cylinder is blowing cold and smokey. I think the Ignitor might have friend or be on its way out?

You just re-wired. Conventional wisdom says to look at the last thing that you did as the cause of the malfunction.

Hi all,

So the time has come and the ol'project is finally gone...sold. Thanks to the many who have helped along the way and who continue to make this forum and others a great source of information, inspiration and fun. I have had fun with the old bike and hopefully the next owner will continue to enjoy it.

Collo

Hi all,

So it's been a while. Sold the old girl for a bit over $3k and have been bike-less for a while. That was until today when I just purchased an old 88' Le Mans IV! I've been wanting a Moto Guzzi for years and it's finally here. I'll start a new thread as soon as I start the rebuild.

The new girl:

Back
Top Bottom