Finally bought a timing gun...now if I could just figure out how to use it.

huck_finn

Been Around the Block
'74 Cb360

I was able to get my hands on a timing gun - but now I am not 100% sure I know what I am looking for. When I am setting the advance, do I need to leave it at 0.0 or change it to something else?

And when I need to make adjustments to my timing, do I rotate my points plate?

I can only find info on static timing in my shop manual, no dynamic.

Start of Advance 1,800rpm
Full Advance 3,400
Advance Angle 0-12.5

"NOTE:
Static ignition timing may be checked with a 12V-3W continuity light. When connected as illustrated in Fig. 3-7, with the main switch in the ON position, the light will come on as the breaker points open. Static timing is relatively accurate, but for best results a stroboscopic timing light should be used to check ignition tinting in both retarded and full advanced positions."

That is what the manual says.

A timing light is only good if the bike already runs.

It’s effectively a strobe light that fires at the same instant as your spark plug.

Connect the power alligator clips to a 12v battery. Doesn’t have to be on the bike - I use a spare motorcycle or other battery to make it easier.

Clamp the sensor lead around the spark plug wire. It fits loosely around the plug wire.

While the engine is running point the light at your timing marks. It allows you to see exactly when the plug fires relative to the positions of the marks.

That’s it - no rocket science.

And another yes - set and leave the light on zero. The strobe will advance as the ignition advances, automatically. (as long as you are able to rev the engine and watch marks at the same time). Its useful to have a helper. Otherwise you may have to use the advance adjuster on the light. Im not so sure I would trust that.
My light is old enough it doesn't have the advance adjuster so never actually seen that used.

I use a white correction fluid pen to highlight timing marks. Makes them easier to see w the strobe.

Thanks for the help! At idle, when I have the inductive clamp on my left plug wire, I take it that my LF should be hitting the mark on my stator that used for my static timing.

What are the two ticks to the left of LF, and when/should they line up with the mark on my stator?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

those are the advance marks. Min and max marks.
as you rev the engine you will see them start to advance towards the timing mark. ex. 1800rpm
When it hits full advance and they stop advancing. ex 3500rpm The timing mark should fall somewhere in between them. from 3500 and redline.
I don't recall the specific rev numbers. but something like that.

Im usually surprised how far off I find static time to be as opposed to actually running timed.
Static timing is for nothing more than getting the thing close enough to get it started. So you can use timing light.
Static time is not for running and riding around.

Back
Top Bottom