"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Black is the the fastest color...... (to show dirt).

Beach, the sexiest bike I ever saw as a sprog was a red framed Norton twin with alloy tanks. The red silver combo is just striking and it makes the whole bike look "lighter" than most other color combos. Flat black is a bit 2000's we did an RS125 and FZR400 in satin black with yellow stripes and that looks a bit dated now.

I am about to paint a CB160 in that same color combo.

But we all have seen some color combination that talks to us and looks just right and it's a personal thing. It's like the old black with Gold accents that looks so wrong on anything that isn't a Velo or Vincent.

This is one of my favorites. Nice glossy black with a good amount of red accent.

Attachments

• 20_03_2013_briton_bees_bsa_01.jpg
    20_03_2013_briton_bees_bsa_01.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 570
Thanx for the input guys .....

PJ - bike won't go out in the rain / dirt !!!!! ;)

Teazer - it's getting the "right" Silver shade to go with the Red. I agree with the polished ali combo - One of my old Tribsas was precisely that ! That one had a load of Taylor Dow bits - one of those "wish I had it now" bikes [ amongst dozens ] :'(

Brodie - that's given me a good idea what it might look like - thanx.

Final primer coat now laid on. Flat down and then Satin Black. No biggie if it doesn't look right - another 10 minutes and it's primer grey again !!!!

I just found out 3M do Red masking tape in various widths ! - so I ordered a roll each of 2mm, 6mm . 8mm to experiment with some striping. I'm also looking at doing a larger "slash" of red following the top curve and the curve over the top of the wider section at the bottom.

Thanx to the masking tape I'll be able to play with ideas - pin stripe one side - flash the other !

Not the best of lighting conditions to photograph Satin Black !! ::) I'll take some more in daylight.

Probably a 2" 'ish wide band of red front to back across fairing, tank, seat with traditional Manx pinstriping - or maybe graffix. I'd like to incorporate my football shirt # [ 55 ] into the scheme.

Attachments

• kz tank prep 006.jpg
    kz tank prep 006.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 192
  • kz tank prep 007.jpg
    kz tank prep 007.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 201
Maritime said:
That looks good beach.looks like it laid smooth for you.

why thank you kindly MT. Just the first heavy coat and after a couple of days to harden. I'll play with the Red tape. The order details said "masking tape" ...... but looks like the olde worlde vinyl stick on stripes ! No matter, it's just a quick " does it work" exercise.

When that' done it'll be a final flat all over with 600 W'n'D and a couple of wet flow coats.

Unfortunately my "spray booth" [ !! ] is not the best in the world and I have got a few odd insect legs and stray borises. Can't hardly see them and they'll rub out with the 600.

I can't finish the seat base until I have access to my rolling chassis in my pal's garage, but I might do the prep and shoot that in Satin Black as well - just to get the overall look.

The half fairing and belly fairing will take a bit more visualising - jeez, I was born too late ..... otherwise I'd be doing that clever photo-shopping jobbie !

beachcomber said:
I have got a few odd insect legs and stray borises. Can't hardly see them and they'll rub out with the 600.

Is that a reference to Boris the spider?!

Alex jb said:
Is that a reference to Boris the spider?!

Well in a way yes ! In our family any random scurrying / unknown critters just got the generic name "Boris". I cleared out all the actual spiders before I started spraying - more like midges and the like. That said there's only 3 very minor blemishes and would polish out if it were the final coat. I was also very careless in cleaning the area before spraying and there was dust and oddness around. When I do the final flow coats, I'll dampen the area down first with a fine water spray.

With the notorious British humidity, how is that affecting your painting? In the rain forests of East Tennessee, I will have to wait for Autumn.

pidjones said:
With the notorious British humidity, how is that affecting your painting? In the rain forests of East Tennessee, I will have to wait for Autumn.

Amazingly we are experiencing one of the driest hottest periods [ 6 weeks ] for years. temps in the mid 20's [ C] and NO rain for 5 weeks now. I can get some heat in my little man cave when the weather changes - but I'm hoping to have the painting completed by August anyway. Biggest delay will be deciding on colourways / graffix. The actual painting won't take long. I've prepped the seat [ keyed it ] and will shoot it in primer surfacer over the weekend. Then I'll get that in Satin Black as well.

I have a choice of 2 top fairings, but can't decide which until my pal is back from the US and I've got access to my rolling chassis [ the red one ]. One of the UK DTT'ers [ Uncle Rob ] is going to fab the under frame fuel cell in the next 8 weeks or so, then I can finalise the belly fairing. I still have Teazer's colourways running around in my head ! I might have a run up the paint store next week and check out some Silver colour charts.

Attachments

• seat prep 3.jpg
    seat prep 3.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 190
  • seat prep 2.jpg
    seat prep 2.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 182
pidjones said:
That saddle base looks great!

Moulded from my original AJS 7R seat from the sixties ! I still have the seat, but I'm keeping it as a wall hanger ....... it's been on dozens of bikes I've built over the years - nostalgia !

Giving it the final once over in daylight tomorrow - then ready for primer. It's dead straight - out of the mould, amazing when you think how old the original one was. I'm thinking Red perforated leather covering - I have a couple of Jaguar Connolly 1/2 hides from my car building days. I might use the "suede" side as I did on an old Guzzi Lemon I built.

https://youtu.be/N10nV9EwJXc

This was the ‘Boris the spider’ toy I remember from the early 80’s

Alex jb said:
https://youtu.be/N10nV9EwJXc

This was the ‘Boris the spider’ toy I remember from the early 80’s

That's the one - my stepson [ Mrs.B #2 ] was really into it - and for some reason [ ? ] it generated to mean anything small. scurrying, unknown - became a Boris. ;D

Anyway back to the plot. The seat has now had a final shaping so that both sides [ bottom edge ] are the same and a final flat off with 400 all over now ready for primer. Originally I had planned to bring the fuel filler neck up into the position usually taken up by central oil tank fillers back in the day - but I can't position the cut out in the front of the seat until I have access to my rolling chassis. However, I got a 4" over swing arm [ 1/8th - 1/4 mile ? ] along with a late motor and other goodies and if I can find a suitable spindle I can fit that. My problem is I have to get the filler tube from the back of the fuel cell up to the top of the bike - and the swing arm is mighty close. We will overcome.

Attachments

• norton-88-500cc-cafe-racer-for-sale.jpg
    norton-88-500cc-cafe-racer-for-sale.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 177
First coat of primer / filler. Rub down tomorrow and another coat - then it's into Satin Black.

Teazer - still not 100% on the Black ::) so I'm going to our local paint factors next week to check out silverness !!!!! ;)

Attachments

• 7R seat prep 002.jpg
    7R seat prep 002.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 7R seat prep 003.jpg
    7R seat prep 003.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 206
Maritime said:
I think with the red frame silver will be more appealing.

MT,

I think on balance I'd agree with that .......... it's just selecting the "right" Silver ! That's why I'm off to the paint store next week to check out their colour swatches. I'm seeing a sort of Norton Silver with traditional Black / Red pinstriping.

That would be true to my roots in keeping the bike as an homage to ALL my bikes of the 60's - we'll just ignore the NOS !!

My pal Brian is due back around the 25th July from his visit to his property in the US, and he's bringing my dual hi-po coils and some other goodies - which he's keeping as a secret !!

I managed to find the 4" over swingarm amongst all the crap in my garage, so I'll try to get that fitted in place to check the route for the fuel filler tube. At the same time I can check out the practicality of swapping swingarms between road and track - mainly the shock absorber mounts.

I just spotted a rattle can of "Wheel Silver" in my shed - that's given me an idea !! I'll shoot that on a random piece of GRP to get an idea.

Yep - you were right guys ..... doesn't work ! ::) It would need a lot more "redness" to be effective. Ignore the pinstriping laid on by Stevie Wonder - just wanted a quick " will it, won't it"

So - just pulled the trigger on a litre of "Vintage Silver Aluminium # 9" cellulose. It's a gloss finish, but they also do a Satin finish.

The seat's flatted off ready for a final coat of primer - so I'll shoot that in the Silver Aluminium

Attachments

• 7R seat prep 009.jpg
    7R seat prep 009.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 7R seat prep 003.jpg
    7R seat prep 003.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom