And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

Holy moly "eh" for corn sake man... that thing would hold a Detroit diesel no? Nice fab work, makes my CB adapter look like a jr. high project :-[

Lol I think it weighs as much as the engine itself. I would never buy 5/16 angle to make that stand, but I had it so that's what I made it from. It definitely doesn't flex =)

A few years back when I tore this down to do the crank seals, I neglected to see if I could get any first. As stated above, my first passion is vintage snowmobiles, which means changing crank seals is a part of life. I had never done a bike before, but figured "a two stroke is a two stroke right".. Wrong. I tore the engine out and apart only to realize that on the clutch side of the crank, they put the bearing on the outside of the seal. My engine being a 76 which is the first year of the non ram air heads, they also incorporated a 4 bearing crank with a lovely bastard crank seal. This also meant that i would have to split the engine vs. the normal crank seal job of pulling them out and sliding new ones in.

The seal dimensions are 32.3mm x 65.0mm x 10.0mm. which is part # 09289-33006. (Im putting this info up so that if someone is in my shoes and googles this headache, maybe this can guide them a bit).

Well guess how easy it is to find said crank seal.... not very easy at all. I called the local motorcycle shop who is usually very helpful and explained my situation. I talked to a younger guy that I hadnt ever dealt with to much, gave him the part number, model of the bike, the year AND the size of the seals and asked if he could help locate them since i was not having much luck other than some place over in the uk.

He calls me back and says "oh yeah i can get them, but since they are so specialized, i need you to come pay for them before i order them". No big thing, i go over and give him some cash and he said he will call when they are in...

I got a call yesterday saying that they are in so i went and picked them up, and just so happened to have the part # and seal sizes with me. I look at the invoice and it says that the seals are for a YAMAHA DT 250.

I looked at the kid and said they were the wrong parts and not even for the right brand of bike. He claimed that is what I asked for and even pulled out his notes. Writtin is his chicken scratch from our phone convo was "dt250 crank seals"..... Thats all, no part number, no seal sizes, nothing. He said he mis understood my "GT" for "DT". Honest mistake until his little dirt bike kid douchery came out. (I've never wanted to smack a flat bill into someones forehead so bad in my life)

At this point I was about ready to come over the counter at this guy. Luckily the boss came out (who i was always used to working with) and asked what was going on. I explained the situation and the boss turned to the kid and unleashed a barrage of language on him that would make a sailor blush.

From what i could figure from the few non explative words towards the kid, my messup wasnt the first.

To make a short story long, I got a refund, but still had to order the seals from Great Britan. All in all i am happy that i can even get them as all American distributors i found say that its a discontinued item. Oh well it is what it is and seals are on the way.

Now i just need to go to dads shop and find the box with the rest of the missing parts from the bike... oops haha

flatbillers :( ::) i dont think they are all dumb cunts but proly a slight majority
nice work on the engine stand lashup !!

Haha no they aren't. It was just icing on the cake. Between the flat bill, the red Bull he was drinking and the fox racing shirt, he was at the high end if the scale. And thanks!

Not a huge update. Started swapping parts on the new frame last night. Knocked out the old neck bearings to be replaced with tapered ones. It will be a slow process as I am polishing and cleaning stuff as I go.

5c33c8e9e8fb3109d982de650901041e.jpg

Used the aluminum foil and water method to clean up the rust and tarnish off of the chrome rear bumper, and I was pleasantly suprised with the results. It doesn't make the chrome brand new and show grade by any means, but cleans it up well enough.

c5834869fae2a5d0edb4c09edc65ecfe.jpg

a0a34455762778ace600e55315327b0e.jpg

78b9ffee874cc9b68e1abf4a2dbbb4a9.jpg

79875be1a25a441340f5fdf7e2ff8480.jpg

Here is a good link to that aluminum foil rust removal. Don't knock it til ya try it..

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

hurco550 said:
Here is a good link to that aluminum foil rust removal. Don't knock it til ya try it..

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

I usually dab silver paint into the rust 'pit' marks on rusty spots on chrome...
hurco,does the aluminum foil make the rust marks 'brighter' than silver paint? and does it prevent further formation of rust later ? thanks :)

I just noticed your new avatar;is that a new friend you just taught how to ride ? :eek: ;D

grcamna5 said:
I usually dab silver paint into the rust 'pit' marks on rusty spots on chrome...
hurco,does the aluminum foil make the rust marks 'brighter' than silver paint? and does it prevent further formation of rust later ? thanks :)

The small rust spots are actually very small "holes" in the chrome that once you polish em away, they aren't too noticeable. I will not keep the rust from coming back if neglected. After I polished it off with the foil and cleaned it up I did a quick once over with actual chrome polish that has rust inhibitor in it. Didn't really polish it with the polishing compound, just used it to try to prevent the rust from coming back.

A little more elbow grease tonight.

e6fc6d2aed0bcda268aeccaa4dfeb4de.jpg

Got my taillight mount cleaned up and back on as well as the rear turn signals
ea777475b95b3308e700167227297c3f.jpg

I know I can't be the only one who puts the tank and seat back on just to keep myself motivated because it looks more like a motorcycle haha
1f44cb12527ab37ba4cb545e9ec2c163.jpg

You're going to have a roller before you know it. Talk about putting together a kit!

Haha yeah I'm on my way. I'm just trying to take off one piece at a time, clean it up and put it directly on the new frame. Baby steps....

grcamna5 said:
The tank looks good too.
I wish it was as good as it looks in that picture.. the clear coat on top is faded, has a ding, and the inside is in need of a good cleaning.. but it will have to do for now. I really wanna buy the nos one pictured earlier in the thread, but that $350 is needed elsewhere in the project at the moment =p

hurco550 said:
I wish it was as good as it looks in that picture.. the clear coat on top is faded, has a ding, and the inside is in need of a good cleaning.. but it will have to do for now. I really wanna buy the nos one pictured earlier in the thread, but that $350 is needed elsewhere in the project at the moment =p

I bought a few gallons of white vinegar and filled my fuel tank to the top w/ 100% vinegar for 18+ hrs.,then rinsed out the tank real good & after that I flushed it out w/ a gallon of denatured alcohol to dry it up and keep it from flash rusting while it's drying,you'll have a fresh tank inside after that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom