75 CL360 Cafe Build

Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Haha, go for it. Thats why we post on here right? ;D

minidriver8 said:
love it, great work (just for your info, i'm stealing your "plate/brake light/indicator bracket assembly design") just thought you should know ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys. Nearly done. All thats left is welding nuts on the inside of the pipes, making a couple of braces, and chroming the extentions.

CB350 ride

Such a good feeling finally riding the bike after hundreds of hours. Pipes are only bolted on still. Havent sealed them yet, but i imagine they would sound a bit different once they are. Ill open the baffles at some point too and see what i can do. ;D

Its all legal ;D Bike is up and running on the road. Had a great cruise this afternoon and ran out of gas. I was a bit worried for a second because it ran out as i was testing the top speed. Still a bit of fine tuning needed with the carbs/jets.

Mate...looking good! Sounds pretty nice too.

Must be a nice feeling getting it up and running, just in time for the good weather too!

Thanks. The best feeling is looking back on where it started and seeing how it turned out ;D Some new points ordered and on their way, and just a bit of fine tuning left.

Attachments

• Finished4.jpg
    Finished4.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 389
  • finished 5.jpg
    finished 5.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 405

Pics

Attachments

• Finished 6.jpg
    Finished 6.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 397
  • before and after.jpg
    before and after.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 392

Love the sound of that motor with a pair of decent mufflers.

MrMister said:
Its all legal ;D Bike is up and running on the road. Had a great cruise this afternoon and ran out of gas. I was a bit worried for a second because it ran out as i was testing the top speed. Still a bit of fine tuning needed with the carbs/jets.

Did you have to get it inspected to register it again? Just a bit curious as I'll have to do the same with mine once it's done and wondering if you had any hassles?

I think it depends on which state youre in. I called an engineer that was on the rta's list of approved people for inspection, and he said because of my bikes age, he doesnt think it would be necessary because pre 74 there wasnt specific standards. So i just went straight to the blue slip place, and they didnt have any hassles or questions about it. They did mark that it was standard on the form though, so i dont know if there might be a problem if someone actually looked into it.

kelvis said:
Did you have to get it inspected to register it again? Just a bit curious as I'll have to do the same with mine once it's done and wondering if you had any hassles?

MrMister said:
I think it depends on which state youre in. I called an engineer that was on the rta's list of approved people for inspection, and he said because of my bikes age, he doesnt think it would be necessary because pre 74 there wasnt specific standards. So i just went straight to the blue slip place, and they didnt have any hassles or questions about it. They did mark that it was standard on the form though, so i dont know if there might be a problem if someone actually looked into it.

I think essentially the standards are the same from state to state with just a few variances here and there. I have the Light Vehicle Inspection Manual with all the guidelines to abide by. I am going to have to cut the frame down so I think I will have to have it engineer certified. I might just try and get away with it and see what happens! Glad to hear they seem a bit more relaxed with older motorcycles though.

1975 CL360

Been a long time since i've had a project. But it's time to post the next big build. Some major changes since the last post, are... I moved to Los Angeles. I bought a basket case cl360 that was in a million pieces a couple Months ago. And its finally starting to get worked on.

Attachments

• 75CL360.jpg
    75CL360.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 837
cl360 Big project

Engine work first. Over the past 3 Months, I've been slowly getting bits and pieces together from ebay and craigslist before starting the big work stuff.
Had to order the special oil filter nut (which was cheaper on amazon than ebay for a change) and took the whole engine apart to get sand blasted, where is it now.
So while im waiting for the sand blasting work to get done, i've been polishing the parts i don't plan on painting.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 372

Very similar. The engine seems more simplified somehow. For instance, you can easily remove the oil separators (#2) in the bottom of the 360. Its actually removable, compared to the 350 which requires grinding drilling and tapping if you want to remove it.
I kind of prefer the look of the frame of the 360 for a cafe as well, because its all tubular frame, and isn't "broken up" with pressed metal, (like the tail section) However, i do like the look of the 350 engine more, with the cooling fins all over the covers.

Attachments

• cb360.jpg
    cb360.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 411

This is a masterpiece. Well done. What kind of tires are those on your blue and white previous build?

Thanks.
They were Bridgestones that were on the bike when i bought it. I was planning on getting new rubber, but i sold it and moved to the States before i could.

WildeJ said:
This is a masterpiece. Well done. What kind of tires are those on your blue and white previous build?

Back
Top Bottom