Tracey's XS650

CanadaDan

1977 BMW R75/7 'Mojo'
OK... time to start a thread for this one!

So this weekend I am taking delivery of a 1974 XS650 (technically a TX650 but potatoe potatoe)

The bike recently had a $2500 mechanical rebuild, complete engine, tranny and bearing job.

Here's what we're getting...

before.jpg

Here's what we're shooting for...

target.jpg

And I have got a set of 1979 forks coming...

forks.jpg

CanadaDan said:
SO here's the first question...

What do I have to do to get the 74 wheel onto the 79 forks?

Dan ... axel size should be the same, I would imagine that spacing will be the issue. You may have to make up new spacers.

Right off the bat, when you change out the forks, make sure you put the fork ears back on the right way. they're upside down on the bike as it sits, which is really weird as it means they were swapped left to right, which suggests the front end was dismantled beyond just dropping the forks out for new seals.

XS650RR said:
Dan ... axel size should be the same, I would imagine that spacing will be the issue. You may have to make up new spacers.

The axles would be a relief! I wasn't looking forward to lacing a new hub to the rim.

But here's a basic question... what do you make spacers from? (Assuming I need something thicker than a washer)

Aluminium? Steel? DOM?

Never made a spacer before :)

Tintin said:
WTF is DOM?

Drawn Over Mandral formed tubing. Other wise they roll steel into a tube and run a weld down the length.

Usually used in frames and roll-cages when strength is a high priority... I doubt I would need to use that for spacers but who knows?

Just aluminum pipe matching your axle I think is all you need.

Well.. it's here!

Arrived this afternoon. Hooked up my boost battery (ski boat battery that I keep charged and ready to boost things) and she fired right up!

Clutch is a little grabby but that can be adjusted.

The OD only show 6400 miles! The original owner bought it new, then commiteed suicide in 79, it was bought off the widow a few years ago... the preverbial bike in a barn. $2500 in mechanical work later all she needs is lipstick and mascara!

It looks like the original owner tried a couple of stunts though... the fender and brake light both have rash marks from a wheelie gone too far and there are a few dings in the tank but I'm repainting anyway so a little filler and those will disapear. The inside of the tank is in amazing condition. Going to dry it out and treat it so it stays that way.

It's pretty subdued at idle but wind it up and it gets throaty with a great bass undertone.

I'll get pics later... running today and no time to go out to the garage and play ;D

Yah Yah... I live in Winnipeg... don't you think I deserve a break?

I don't remember the last swap meet with in an 8 hour drive :p

And I'd get my ass kicked in a Rocker vs Mods meet... it be me against 300 guys wearing flip-flops and iPods... they add up!

So where are the pics? Shouldn't you be out riding the thing up and down the street? I wanna see a movie of it running - throw it up on Youtube.

Tintin said:
Oh, and get it safe for the end of July so I can ride it :)

Bring those '71 side covers to Winnipeg and I'll think about it. 8)

BTW... those drag bars are going to be on the XS for now. My Maguras don't clear the pod or tree and the drags will be the perfect bar for Tracey... between stock and clubman/clipons. They're even pre-drilled for the wiring.

I have to go over the bike but it should safety as is ;D They even put new tires on :D

Hey, I drove 2 hours and dropped $700 of my own money on a bike for my brother who then decided to go out and get something different ;) Oh, and how does Tracey's Schuberth fit? I'm plenty nice.

I meant to ask... hows that Hoosier look in your kitchen ;) Did the movers have to bring it by your garage? ;D

You know what... we're BOTH saints...don't know why I never realised that.

Hear Yee Hear Yee!

;D

CanadaDan said:
The axles would be a relief! I wasn't looking forward to lacing a new hub to the rim.

But here's a basic question... what do you make spacers from? (Assuming I need something thicker than a washer)

Aluminium? Steel? DOM?

Never made a spacer before :)

Just pick up some aircraft grade aluminum .....that's all you need ... oh and a lathe would be good as well ... ;D

Back
Top Bottom